1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

So glad this site's here for us nervous mommas

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Hottchick, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Hottchick

Hottchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    It's going to get down to about 15 degrees here in Eastern NC this evening. I, in a moment of weakness, purchased a small fan forced heater. When I went out there this afternoon to figure out where I wanted to put it I started thinking about the drawbacks and it scared me to death! I almost set the coop on fire with a heat lamp when the chicks were younger. I wondered if I should use the heat lamp because if a wood chip happened to blow into the heating coil of the fan forced heater it would definately catch on fire.

So, I instead turned to the wisdom of many great chicken owners here on this site for reassurance. I am going to forgo the heat. My coop is 7x9, uninsulated, well-ventlated at the top and draft free. They can cozy together in the nest boxes if they need a closer cuddle for warmth. I have 8 girls.

I'm glad this site is here to help those of us who spoil our babies and want the best for them to realize that their needs are different from ours and they will be OK.
    I'm rambling now ..........

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Honey, you are just fine....You make me happy. That and the thousands on this board who love their poultry. You see we love ours too and if I thought our little chickies, or ducks, guineas, poults or bunnies went to non caring persons, it would break my heart....It sounds silly, but I love my hatching eggs and as I wrap them up to mail them, I pray over them and over their journey and their new hopes and I pray that they will become little babies who live well and are loved.

So keep on caring!!! Your coop should be fine! Have a blessed one. Nancy

3. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    As long as the coop is well vented ans noy drafty they will be fine. They are in more danger from a fire than cold.

4. Hottchick

Hottchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    That's what I was thinking. I will still worry though....I think a lot of us will. I love all of my animals. When my pullet Alice was killed, my aunt asked me if that would change how I felt about my chickens (like, make me care less) and I said no. I broke my heart and I just cried and cried. I know there are a lot of places in the country right now that are having a lot worse weather. This is my first year keeping chickens so reassurance is always good.

5. Delta3013

Delta3013 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Harker Heights, TX
    This is my second, and all my chickens do just fine here(It got to 20 F other night) in their fence board coop. They even prefer the coop door open opposed to close, because the like to go out early in the morning. It also helps if you have some hay in there so they can make little chicken beds for themselfs.

6. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Last yr . was my first winter w/ chickens..I worried and worried about them.. Every little thing caused me to worry... It got down to 11* and they were fine--not even any frostbite.. I have deep littler on the floor and dropping board--I made sure everyone was tucked in, the windows and doors were closed tight and I will go early in the am w/ warm water and treats... and I hope they fare as well as last yr...

7. palochknldy

palochknldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Palo, Iowa
    Coming from a very cold state right now, we reached a high of 12 today and the low was -10(windchills near -25) and we do NOT have added heat. We have tarps over the run to keep out the drafts and added a good layer of straw on the ground, which is concrete. The coop, which is a chicken tractor, only has insulation on the top and is vented. No heat and the girls are doing great and loving it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by