So guess what happens when you volunteer - you bring home chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kkoerner, Apr 11, 2009.

1. kkoerner

kkoerner Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2009
    Cumming, GA
    I volunteered today at the "Chicken Stimulus Package" event in Roswell Ga. The event was organized by the Chicken Whisperer. We were handing out free chicks and information. Anyways, I expected to bring home 2 chicks to keep my one lonely chick company (only had 1 of my 3 eggs to hatch this week). Well I ended up bringing 8 home! We are in chick heaven right now. Thank goodness I have time to add some roosts to my coop or I would be in trouble.
    Here is a pic of our lonely chick. Amercauna, I believe.
    [​IMG]
    Here is a pic of our 8 new ones. 1 Amercauna, 3 Barred Rocks, 1 New Hampshire Red, and 3 Golden Comets.
    [​IMG]

2. addicted2chicks

addicted2chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Michigan
    Congrats.

3. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    nice flock!

4. chicklips

chicklips Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    St. Johns, MI
    I always bring home more than I "really" needed.

5. rrhill

rrhill New Egg

Mar 1, 2009
    Great event. I brought home 10 new chicks, 5 barred rocks & 5 white leghorns. I had planned on getting some for awhile...seemed like a good time and good cause!

6. wings

wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    What a great variation of breeds!

Keep the pictures coming! [​IMG]

7. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Pretty babies! I love my Golden Comets; they're some of my absolute friendliest girls! [​IMG]

8. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    What breed is the chick drinking water? The gold one with white wing tips? I got a chick like this a week ago and don't know what it is. It was nearly doubled in size now. It is still a buff or gold color and the wings are lighter colored (but no longer white).

I posted a picture last week and received several replies but they varied. Thoughts were New Hampshire Red, Gold Comet, Gold Sex Link, and Brown Leghorn. I was told it was a RIR, which it is not. Out of these replies, the assortment it came from was only supposed to contain Gold Sex Link. I am leaning towards this.

Thanks.

9. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    UPDATE - I just cleaned my brooder and took a close look at the chick. I now see that she has some dark brown feathers starting to emerge on her upper back. She is two weeks old. I forgot to mention that one person thought it is an ISA Brown. I am now starting to think this might be what it is.

10. kkoerner

kkoerner Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2009
    Cumming, GA
    I was told golden comet. My New Hampshire Red is to the right eating food. She is a week old whereas the comets are 2 days old. Hence the size difference.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by