So Happy to be Here!

DryCreekFarm

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 5, 2012
Burleson, Tx
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chicken

I am not new to chickens. I grew up on Dry Creek Farm raising chickens, gathering eggs, hatching eggs, building/repairing incubators, building/maintaining coops, etc. The first chicken I had was when I was 4 years old. Her name was Martha the Dominique. She followed me around and helped me do everything. She lived as a pet for 5 years.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

Right now we have 17 RIR hens, 1 RIR rooster, and 5 silkies. We also have 6 Rouen ducks,
1 Indian Runner duck, and a pair of African geese.

(3) What breeds do you have?

We keep RIR's for eggs and Silkies for hatching our eggs. Our Rouens and, eventually, our
Indian Runner are for meat and eggs, respectively. Our geese make little geese for the
table and keep the grass down.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

I was searching for info on my ducklings and the site magically appeared.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Knitting, gardening, reading, farming, building things, bee keeping, and prepping.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I live on the farm I grew up on with my Grandfather and Husband. We own a small three acres, but we use what we have very well. Besides the farm animals, we have four dogs: Two rescued boxers named Tuffy and Harlequin, one rescued chihuahua/rat terrier mix named Dr. Sparky, and one Yorkshire Terrier named Moxie Crimefighter. When I am not doing farm work, I am a Special Education Reading Teacher for grades 6-8. By this time
next year I would like to have the house completely remodeled, all the barns repaired,
the rest of the tractors built, and really get this garden thing going a lot better than it is this year. Pretty soon, we are adding turkeys, guineas, rabbits, and goats to our little farm.

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC! That's a lot of poultry!..
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom