1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

So hatcheries say its a 90% sexing accuracy? Will then just my "luck"

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 4H kids and mom, May 29, 2007.

1. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    The little chickies are going on 4 and 5 weeks old now. Of my 3 RIRs I am pretty certain 1 is a roo. :mad: The other 2 have dainty, pale combs. This one has a tall, proud, and now cherry red comb AND is getting wattles. Not to mention how sweet and lovey he is.... [​IMG] WTH am I going to do with ANOTHER roo? lol Oi!

Also, I believe 1 of my 2 Golden Comets is also a roo. Golly! The good thing is that I believe my Barred Rocks, Cali Whites, and Marans to all be pullets. Whew. And the Buff Orp I have no one to compare her to, but her comb is small and feminine and no red, so I am pretty sure she's a she, too.

I suppose I am going to keep the RIR roo and breed some pure RIRs for showing at the fair. Hopefully, he will find a place in the pecking order of the flock as the other 3 boys already have their "thing" worked out. I'm not too certain if the one Goldie is a roo yet or not, but I'm leaning towards that it is. Maybe I'll pair them off for breeding too, or sell them as a pair. I had just so hoped I wouldn't have to worry about sexing issues AGAIN! [​IMG] Guess my luck had to run out sometime...huh?

2. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    If your golden comet is a roo he will be mostly white. As they are sex-links. If mostly gold or redish its a pullet.

3. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Well with my first order of chicks from the hatchery I ordered one roo, and 24 hens. I got 4 roos!!! Not that it was a big deal, I have plenty of room, and they all get along great. But I was laughing about it! My aunt ordered 25 chicks, and orderd 3 roos, and got 7!! he he he he! [​IMG][​IMG]

4. jkm

jkm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Forest Grove
    well you have seen my posts,

second time around,
    and see the last one,
    gave away two roos out of of four chcicks today!!!

5. missusduray

missusduray Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2007
    Northern Minnesota
    4h mom, an idea how old kids have to be to join 4h? I have a 3.5 year old son and I was thinking that he might be interested in showing his chicken. Thanks
    Kristyne

6. rotzilla

rotzilla Out Of The Brooder

i ordered 12 pullets the hatchery threw in 10 extra roos and it turns out 1 of original 12 turned out to be a ro also......

7. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    That other 10% has to end up somewhere... [​IMG]

8. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Missus......my grandson is first timer in 4H this year. He is 6. We was told he can "show" his chicken, just not participate in the "sale" of his hen. Which is fine with me, because he will be showing one of my Buff Orps! LOL

9. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    missusduray... they can join 4H once in Kindergarten (these are "CloverBuds"), but can not show a live animal until they are a "regular" member and in at least the 3rd grade. At least thats what the 'rule' is in Wisconsin, it may be different in your state, but the age to join is always the same.

Everyone else...I took photos this evening of the chicks and will upload and post them here later. As far as the Comets go, I was incorrect. Its not the Comets its the Cinnamon Queens that I am concerned with. Are they also sex-linked? Both are similar in color, but one has a well defined comb with a nice reddish tint to it. [​IMG]

10. missusduray

missusduray Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2007
    Northern Minnesota
    Thanks. I guess that he will have to wait a few more years. That is ok, it will give him a chance to get better with the chickens and mature a little. I sure hope that the silkie I ordered is a female, wouldnt it be fun for him to show a mama and babies!
    kristyne

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by