So, have you ever had a chicken to NOT mature and never lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BethieofVA, Sep 30, 2010.

1. BethieofVA

BethieofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    I am just curious because my 29 week old pullet is just that. No signs of maturing, tiny pale comb, no wattles, no squat, nada and her three fellow hens give me eggs daily, for weeks. Ho-hum....

2. linben

linben Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Austin, TX
    What breed?

3. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:it would help to know the breed, some take longer to mature then others.

4. churchx3

churchx3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Georgia
    I had a buff that never seemed to mature...never laid...then up and died. Don't know if the other chickens "knew" she was different or something, no outward marks, but almost appeared to slowly starve...very sad as she was sweet.

5. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    i have some cinnamon queens that are 18 months old out of the 6 i say 3 still arent laying. dont know why either.

6. haTHOR

haTHOR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Near Asheville, NC
    i have a 12-18 mo old easter egger (silvery-white all over) who has never laid more than a couple eggs. i know she laid at least twice as i had ten hens and ten eggs two days. (unless, of course, i missed an egg or one was laid at night, or another hen laid two in one day, etc. so that two of the ten eggs were from the same hen--all of which has happened). so she may never have laid. bottom line is i have NEVER seen her in a nest box, which is really, really odd.

she is about to make up for it by transforming magically into chicken and dumplings.

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    [​IMG] Honestly I have an Easter Egger who gives me 1 egg every 2 months, and an Ameraucana who's given me 4 eggs in her 2 months of laying age now and I never think once of turning them into food. I didn't get chickens to get eggs. . . that's what buying someone else's eggs are for. [​IMG]

8. BethieofVA

BethieofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    She is a Black Sex Link and I have no intention of culling her, just curious. Her physical appearance, other than weight gain, has not changed for months.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  9. blueraspberry

blueraspberry Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2010
    my chickens are 26 weeks and only one is looking ready

her name is patch

[​IMG]

she already started squating!!! [​IMG]

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Give her time. Chickens are individuals and each will mature at their own pace.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by