1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

So....here are the new "fancy" chickies! **LOTS OF PHOTOS**

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 4H kids and mom, Jun 8, 2007.

1. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    I'll try to post a pic of each one, as I need a little help with a few. We got 25 of them from the feed store, but then my neighbor "really needed" a few and offered to pay me almost twice what I paid, so how could I refuse? lol [​IMG] We ended up keeping our favorite 16. So, know I'll post the ones I know, then the ones I'm questioning. (Although the good thing is that I know they can only be of a few select breeds, so that makes it easier for you all to help me decide what they are! lol)

[​IMG]
    Blue Splash Cochin

[​IMG]
    Black Cochin

[​IMG]
    Blue Cochin

[​IMG]
    Lakenvelder?

[​IMG]
    Silver Laced Polish

[​IMG]
    White Wyandotte? (I have 3 of these)

[​IMG]
    Egyptian Fayoumis

[​IMG]
    Mottled Houdan (has 5 toes)

[​IMG]
    Buff Polish

[​IMG]
    Golden Laced Polish

[​IMG]
    Ameraucana (has muffs and beard)

And now the ones I need help with, and don't have as much of an idea what they are.

[​IMG]
    Ameraucana or Pheonix or...... ? (Has chipmunking but no beard/muffs)

[​IMG]
    No Clue! Would be something listed on the Rare Breeds page at Cackle Hatchery (thats where the feed store gets them)

[​IMG]
    Not Sure Either...

And then here's a better shot of everybody in the box they came home from the store in.

[​IMG]
    One side of the box...

[​IMG]

Any ideas are helpful! [​IMG]
    And the other side....

Last edited: Jun 8, 2007
  2. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    I want I want I want!!!! Too cute! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Pic number 5, the silver polish...looks like a roo wannabe!
    And pix 1,2, &3 ...just LOOOOVE those feathered feet!

Congrats on your new babies, and sorry I'm no help with ID's...just love to see them!!! [​IMG]

3. drafthorse39

drafthorse39 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    i love the houdan [​IMG]

4. mamading

mamading Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2007
    Rhinelander, WI
    So precious!
    I'm too new at chickens to be of much help in identification. Sorry. Just had to comment on your new babies.
    Must be difficult to decide which ones the neighbor can have. They're all so unique.

5. 4H kids and mom

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    Thanks! The ones pictured are the ones we kept. [​IMG] I really wanted a little of everything, so I chose to keep one of each! And the neighbor is my friend so if I end up mostly roos, she'll trade me back again (since she knows I really only have room for pullets now)! [​IMG]

The Houdan was a surprise actually! I didnt know what he/she was until I looked it up and sure enough it has the 5 toes! So, naturally, I HAD to keep that unique one!

6. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Ooooo You bought a couple blues!!! [​IMG] I'm jealous! Such cuties... I'm sure ChickenDuck will love his new women!

7. 4H kids and mom

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    The only 'bad' thing is that they are St run, so I dont know yet what I have. [​IMG] Fingers crossed for gals, though I actually hope the Egyptian Fayoumis is a roo because they are so perdy. [​IMG] But my neighbor is hoping for mostly boys because she does the breeding thing, and she is up to her eyeballs in hens right now! [​IMG] So, in a few weeks when we can tell whos-who we'll switch as we need to so I get the gals. [​IMG]

8. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Great shots!!! #5 definately has attitude. I Love It!!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. 4H kids and mom

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    Thanks! [​IMG] And yea, knowing my luck I probably kept all the boys! Oi!

And now I was lookin at the "white" ones I have this morning, and one is different. Longer, glossy-type fuzz and real fuzzy feathers on the wings. Think it could be a white silky? I've never seen a white silky chicky....so I'm off to to a Google Images search! lol [​IMG]

EDIT: Ok, not a silky cuz no head poof and no feathery legs. Hmm...the hatchery also has White Porcelain Wyandottes. Is THAT a possibility? I cant find a good pic of a day old chick....

Last edited: Jun 9, 2007
  10. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    sooo cute! I am a newbie to raising chickens and only have buff orps, cochins, americaunas (green legs)dominiques, red stars and one lt. brahma. Love the pics though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by