1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

So here is my first peacock...

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Kwartel, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Kwartel

Kwartel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Oklahoma
    This is my new peacock. He is pretty shy of me, but we will work on that. He is supposed to be about 4 years old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Gorgeous~!

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Very pretty. [​IMG] One of these days I WILL have a peacock (hopefully [​IMG])

4. jrsqlc

jrsqlc Obsessed with Peafowl

Dec 22, 2009
    Northwest Ohio
    I like the pieds!! [​IMG]

5. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Lol that reminds me of my pied male! He is pretty I hope he gets settled in well.[​IMG]

6. dkvart1

dkvart1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Absolutely beautiful!

Late next spring we are moving to a little farmette and I told my DBF I want a peacock. He said do you know how hard it would be to find someone to treat him if he gets sick? I tried to explain I've used country vets before and they see fowl, he said peacocks are different, they are exotic. Ohhhhhhh-kay. [​IMG]

7. MinxFox

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Well that is what you would think, but I really don't think peafowl are that exotic of a pet. They are quite common now and can be found at most zoos, and lots of farms and random backyards. I hope you can get peafowl they are great![​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  8. dkvart1

dkvart1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Oh I know they aren't exotic, when I was a kid I hung out around a lot of farms and several farmers had them as their "watchdog" for all the racket they would make when someone approached the house. But then he grew up in chicago, strictly a city kid, so... and yes, I will get one, he's a push over for critters! [​IMG]

When I first started talking about getting chickens he wanted nothing to do with them... they are your babys, don't look to me to take care of them. Okay with me! Then last week he said something about us raising our chickens... so yeah, I can see that peacock in my furture!

9. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    He's a beauty!

10. MinxFox

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Quote:That is sooo funny because that sounds just like my dad! I wanted peafowl and he said, "Well I am not going to end up taking care of them!" When I was young I had bunnies and he ended up having to take care of them so he still wasn't over that. I had to convince him I would take care of them and he wouldn't have to worry about doing anything with them. Now he talks about them! He says things like, "We could give them a big shelter attached to their pen that they could use for cold weather," and "I can't wait to let some of them free-range."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by