So hot here - put fan in coop - is it ok?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Oakie75, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Oakie75

Oakie75 Hatching

Jun 22, 2010
    It has been over 100 here for about three weeks. It was so hot in the coop even with the doors propped open it was over 100 in it. (No Wind) I have a big fan I put it in the middle of my 12X12 coop pointing towards the door. Now I have been told by my dad that it's not a good idea to have a fan in there? What do you think?

2. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    As long as the chickens can't get caught in the fan, I'd think any breeze would be welcomed by your birds in that heat. You might also want to think about frozen jugs of water and maybe even a cheap mister from home depot (if your humidity is low enough). I have a rotating series of milk jugs filled with water that I put on the ground or in a pan of water for my girls. They like to snuggle up to them.

3. Lesa

Lesa Songster

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I've had my fan on most of the summer. I would say as long as it is safe (fire and they can't get into it), it should be fine. I have used mine in the window and in the roof vent to suck the air out of the coop. It is still hot, but a lot more pleasant. I would be interested to know why your Dad feels it is not a good idea....

4. MarieNC

MarieNC Songster

May 10, 2010
    I have two fans blowing into the run from outside so the chickens don't come in contact with them. I also have one in the coop that not only do I use to blow out the hot air during the day, but I also leave on all night long to circulate air for my girls. It's been way too hot down here to not have fans on them.

5. Crack N' Egg

Crack N' Egg Songster

Jul 29, 2009
    Flemington, NJ
    I have one misting fan aimed towards the run when they are in there and one inside the coop. I think fans in the summer is nothing like drafts in the winter.
    This summer has been brutal all around and I don't know what I would do without my fan. It's not a complete solution, but it certainly helps!

6. jjthinkagain

jjthinkagain Chirping

May 26, 2010
    Impossibly hot for them without fans in those dreadful temps. They are utterly crucial and may even then not be enough.

Check out the many threads here on BYC about additional ways to cool off your feathered friends but the fans are an absolute MUST.

Many thanks for caring enough to ask.

JJ (aka jjthink most of the time)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I've got one fan blowing into my nest boxes, and another aimed at the roosts. One or the other is always on (depending on night/day of course) in this severe heat...

8. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Songster

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    I run 3 fans 24 hrs. One on either side of the run and a little one in the gable section of the coop.

Make sure you use an outdoor rated extention cord, if you use one, and clean the fans periodically.

9. pmill39

pmill39 In the Brooder

Jun 20, 2010
    my chickens love the fan in there chicken coop they stand right in front of the fan

10. Sweetpeaswan

Sweetpeaswan Chirping

Aug 5, 2010
    Out in Arizona...talk about some heat????? we use a fan, and haven't had any problems...the other thing we do is freeze the big

gallon water containers and the 5 gallon ones. Then we put one in the hen house, and a few in the runs, you should see those

little ninnies come running, they lay around them and stand on them they really seem to enjoy it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: