So how are muscovies?

pringle

Songster
10 Years
Apr 16, 2009
Pepperell,MA
I might be getting a couple soon(male and female)and want to know there personality.Will they do ok with other ducks like mallards and pekins?Are they good mothers?Im getting them as adults so if I keep them in there coop for a few days will they learn that thats there new home?It will be attached to a open run so should I clip there wing feathers so they dont fly away.I know I have to do it with my mallards they can go 5 ft in the air without having to jumo off something!I hope that they will be able to raise there own ducklings since I really dont like too there too dirty and gross and I think seeing a mother with her ducklings is the cutess thing of all!So any info with nay added tips would be greatly appreciated!Thanks

Ohh cmon just becouse there gonna be illegal doesnt mean you cant post about them
wink.png

It will depend on what the new rules are on keeping them. If you have Muscovy ducks with other ducks and they cross breed, the offsprings will become sterile mules. The Muscovy ducks are excellent mothers and sitters.
Sharon

Yeah I know they will be sterile.I want to cross the male scovy with my pekin to make a good meat duck,good foraging capabilities and lean meat of the muscovy but with the fast growth of the pekin.

pringle wrote: Ohh cmon just becouse there gonna be illegal doesnt mean you cant post about them

Actually the law is only going to apply to the wild variety and does NOT include domestics. I asked my veterinarian (It sure is handy he lives right behind my house lol) and he said that he went to a seminar or something and that the fish and wildlife people were there and they guaranteed this so you dont have to worry about that
smile.png

ETA also that it includes ferals but if were keeping them for pets or breeding they dont count as feral lol.​

Last edited:
Mine was hand raised and she's a real charmer. Always loving on me, and is now buddies with the cat more so then my pekins... who seem to shun her.

Quote:
Actually the law is only going to apply to the wild variety and does NOT include domestics. I asked my veterinarian (It sure is handy he lives right behind my house lol) and he said that he went to a seminar or something and that the fish and wildlife people were there and they guaranteed this so you dont have to worry about that
smile.png

ETA also that it includes ferals but if were keeping them for pets or breeding they dont count as feral lol.

That is not correct. Several people on BYC have contacted the FWS directly and confirmed that it applies to ALL muscovies in the US. There is no distinction between domesticated (controlled, loose, or feral) and wild birds.

Well Idc scovys are suppose to be quiet and any noise they do make will be covered up by my mallards and pekin lol

Back
Top Bottom