so how do I know what they are ????

chicksnducks

Songster
12 Years
Apr 16, 2007
Durant OK
I have an arcauna roo, a cornish cross roo and a silkie roo....my hens are rirs, barreds, buffs and wyandottes....I think that the cornish is not getting the job done right so the other two roos are the daddys. How do I know what the chicks will be? I have six hatched out...two from RIR eggs and four I am not sure about...the first chick is yellow with dark stripes on head and back the other two are just yellow so far and the others seem darker in color but they are still wet in incubator.
so what kind do I have ? do you all keep your roos and hens separate according to what breed you want? Is it true that they are what the roo is???
thanks for any and all advice...I just love bycs!!!

If you come out with a barred chick, it's most likely a cockerel and from your Barred Rock hen. I have several accidental "sexlinks" from all Barred Rock mothers with various fathers and in all cases, the barred ones were cockerels.

good thing I didn't buy that whole cage of cockerels from the chicken auction!!! I thought it was a breed:eek:

ok and my roo is an EE not an arcauna....I learn so much from you chicken folks....
when a chick is newborn and is yellow with stripes on his head and back, any idea what breed he will look like?

Quote:
(Sorry, I posted these pics in another topic but I feel it works here too)

I have two chickens that are EE/ [Ameracauna] (sp?) crosses with something else - yeah....I have mutts, lol.

These are them as babies (yellow-ish with the darker stripes):
060107_1822.jpg

twins.jpg

This is them grown up:

Bo-Peep [EE X Silkie] - hen
101307_1346a.jpg

101407_0943.jpg

Spanky [EE X something?] - roo
101607_1333a.jpg

101507_1741.jpg

I hope this gives you sort of an idea on what they can turn out looking like...
(maybe a little less like Bo-peep since she's part silkie)

Last edited:
Quote:
I wonder if that's why the last two chicks to hatch both LOOK alike (and like the BR roo I have) even thought they hatched from different colored eggs. One hatched from a brown egg (RS) and the other from a greenish egg (EE). The only difference between them is one is developing the single comb whereas the other is getting a rose comb. Cool!

Good thing...THAT"S the ONLY way I can tell them apart.

Last edited:
BO Peep is gorgeous! My silkie Roo is sooo ugly. He has a brain comb that is huge.....he can hardly see past it!!!
My chickies have less brown. the stripes are very distinct....like lines from a marker....they are too sweet though!

Back
Top Bottom