so how do you know if your chickens are pure?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by oodymex, Dec 3, 2008.

1. oodymex

oodymex Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2008
    North Carolina
    i got about 10 chickens from an auction about two weeks ago and was wondering how i knew if they were pure? is there a way to tell? lol

2. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Have a priest interview them in a confessional. [​IMG][/img] Nope, no way.

3. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    buy from a BREEDER. most likely the only way you will get pure stuff, hatcherys sometimes even sell mixed stuff but is called pure because thats what they bought it as. Auctions who knows what you'll get there.. Breeders are the best bet because they will most likely have had the lines for 40+ years trying to keep them pure. and usually good quality if your into showing.. if their a new breeder then most likely they purchased or were given their stock from old breeders

-Daniel

4. Feathered Wings

Feathered Wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Georgia
    Absoulutly no way to tell [​IMG] If you want pure birds buy from a breeder or order from the hatchery [​IMG]

5. oodymex

oodymex Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2008
    North Carolina
    oh, thanks!

6. wclawrence

wclawrence Chillin' With My Peeps

Step One. Define "pure."

7. NCchickenlady

NCchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    raleigh
    Quote:I can't touch this one!!

[​IMG]

Actually, no way to tell. The breeder I bought my silkies from said some people "pedigree" their chickens but for the most part what you buy at auctions and bird swap meets and shows can be a crap shoot. I have fallen victim to it with Americaunas and got some nice EE's. I love them and hope to get green or blue eggs but we shall see......

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  8. NCchickenlady

NCchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    raleigh
    Oh by the way [​IMG]

We are nice people, just like to have fun too!!

What did you get and do you have pictures?

9. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Oodymex- I think we all got so caught up in trying to be funny that no one has welcomed you to BYC. This is a great site where you can learn alot and have a good time. I have met some really nice people through BYC and I know that I will be meeting more in the future. I will be looking forward to reading all of your posts in the future. If you don't mind why don't you tell us a little bit about yourself. That, and if you are able to post pictures of your new birds it will make it a lot easy for people to offer advice and opinions. Just because you purchased your birds at an auction doesn't mean that they are "junk" birds. There are many times that pure breed birds are taken to auction sales. Again if you have read many of the posts on this site you will discover that it is for the most part people with a common interest, poultry, who like to have a good time. Again welcome to BYC.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  10. Barn Maid Ann

Barn Maid Ann Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    Punta Gorda, FL
    Quote:I would love to see pics of your new chickens! Did you get them for eggs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by