So how do you know who is laying what?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mrs. K, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I have two BO, these I am sure on, 4 red star crosses?, two black asutralops ? one barred rock? hens

I get a pinkish egg, light brown eggs and one very dark almost chocolate colored egg, the darkest I have ever seen. They were all hatched in May, I had a brood hen raise the two BO, lost all but them to a weasel, and bought the others from a lady who raised them, but she was not real clear as to what they were.

They have been laying for about a month, and I am getting 4 eggs one day, 5 the next. I am not positive if everyone IS laying yet, but you all seem to KNOW who is doing what, so how?

Mrs.K

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Mine are all kept seperate by breed in different pens so I don't have that issue. I would bet tho that your "barred rock" is actually a Marans if you're getting a dark chocalate colored egg. Are her legs whitish pink or yellow? If they're white she's a Marans. My Orpingtons lay a much rounder egg than some of my other breeds.

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

My red sexlink (redstar?) also lays almost round eggs, light-to-medium brown eggs. Sometimes it's a question of which end is the big end to put up in the carton!

4. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

I have this problem too with my mixed flock. The only ones I know for sure are the 2 olive green egg layers are my 2 brown EE, the white EE was my first layer of the flock, and hers are a light cream color. But now that many (most? all?) of my 15 girls are laying, it's hard to tell which eggs belong to which bird! Also I'm pretty sure the large tan egg I get every 3 days or so is from our Jersey Giant. The rest remain a mystery [​IMG]

5. thedeacon

thedeacon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Midwest
    The best answer I have is was from a previous post on here. Get several colors of lipstick from purse, mark the vent of each hen with a different color. Put lipstick back in purse. Each egg should have lipstick on it to coorospond to the hen.

6. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Put lipstick back in purse????? EEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Catstar68

Catstar68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Franklinton, NC
    Quote:[​IMG]

I bet it works though. [​IMG]

8. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    LOL... LOVE the lipstick idea!

I sit out there and watch who goes on the nest, which nest they went to, and get the egg soon after. After knowing who laid what, I mark each egg with a pencil using the first letter of their name... so that future eggs, I just hold them up to the marked eggs and the one it matches is the layer. This also let's me know who laid how many over the course of a week.

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    By being a chicken nerd and spending too much time in the coop! [​IMG]

Each of my pullets have distinct differences in color, shape or size. I only have 1 white egg layer and 1 green egg layer, so those are easy. My BO lays a very elongated egg. (pullet bullet) My light brahma egg is rounded with a really pointy top and it's almost got a pinkish tint to it. My BR lays a darker based brown egg sometimes with lavender speckles. And my RIR lays a rounded darker egg with white dots on it.

I agree, it the dark egg you are getting is a chocolate kind of color, you probably have a marans, not BR. Cuckoo marans are barred.

10. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    could I have gotten a maran in a feed store?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by