1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

So How Dumb was This?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by drmeyes236, May 15, 2009.

1. drmeyes236

drmeyes236 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    ohio
    I set 8 Pekin duck eggs and only hatched one, which we love. All it did was peep so we held it all the time,my son works with a bunch of "farmers" and they told him it would die if it was alone. SOOOO he found a guy on craigslist with ducklings and made arrangments to meet the guy to pick up 3 khaki campbell ducklings one day older than ours. He brings these guys home and they are around 4 weeks old at least getting feathers!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They tower over our baby,but it has stopped all the peeping! My living room is a mess,stinks and water everywhere. I can't move them to the garage because our baby is too little. Not only was I not prepared for the mess I am afraid they will step on the baby.

2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Please please tell me you did not put them together? Any new additions need to be quarantined. If those ducks have anything whatsoever they can pass it to your duckling.

Move them into the garage and give them a heat lamp for little one with enough space that they can get away from it if they need.

I know my 11 step all over each other and I can only imagine 4 bigger ones trampling the little guy. I wish I could help.

3. drmeyes236

drmeyes236 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    ohio
    He did put them together...... now what? Wow we are in way over our heads! Trying to do the best for our "baby" and now we screwed it all up?!

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    No you did not screw it all up. First rule of thumb....do not panic and second rule work with it.

It is done now so we go from here. If you are worried about the little one, you could put a wire wall in the brooder so they can see each other and be near each other but the bigger ones cannot run over the little one. Or you could give little one a feather duster for a buddy...or a stuffed toy that would baby safe.

How are they doing together? Is little one doing okay stayed out from under their feet?

In future...never mix new birds with your existing ones without a guarantine of at least 30 days. Too many people have lost their flocks doing so and it is not worth the heartache. Ducks are not a bad about that problem as chickens apparently but might as well get in a good habit from the start. Plus, the difference in ages can be a big deal, especially with chickens...biggers ones will kill little ones. Ducks are not that bad but they do run over each other a lot and the little one could get hurt. Just watch them and if you feel they need some space, make a chicken wire wall and put it between them until little one is a bit bigger. She will be able to see and hear the others ones and not be as lonely.

Never worry about being in over your head. We learn as we go and we get better at it. This is my first time with ducklings since I was a kid and I have 11 of them in my bathroom. hahahaha

I did the same thing when I added 5 chicks to my existing 6 they were 5 weeks apart but were in the same room and not guarantined. I was lucky no one was ill. So, concentrate on finding a solution to the dilemma now and not worry about the separation.

Last edited: May 15, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by