so how long is she going to keep trying to kill them?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by carriehelene, Oct 18, 2009.

1. carriehelene

carriehelene Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2009
    Capital Region NY
    So 2 weeks ago, I put my 18 chicks out into the coop, in an enclosure made of hardware cloth, with my older flock. So they have all been able to see each other, and get used to each other. On that same weekend, my broody hatched out her 5 chicks. Well, my broody will occationally try to get to the enclosed chicks by body slamming the "wall", and is very jealous when I feed the other chicks. Guess she thinks only her chicks should be cared for. Well, it's been 2 weeks now, so how long is she going to keep this up? I know there is no exact science to this, but jeez, girl, give it up already [​IMG] Mama takes her chicks out into the run, and the yard regularly. But I don't dare let the other babies out because she wants to kill them. None of my other hens or my rooster pay any attention to either sets of babies, only my mama hen. Is she going to keep this up forever or what? She also terrorizes my hens when they come in to lay. She totally lets us humans do whatever we want with her babies, just the chickens she freaks on. I want my babies to be able to go out and get used to the world before winter comes. Little wench.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Sounds like you have a very good broody. You did not mention how old the other 18 chicks are. She could see them as a threat to her babies or she may want to adopt them. Either way, she seems very protective of her babies. I consider that a good thing.

If they are free to roam in a big area, she may not bother the 18 at all unless they get close to her chicks. But I would suspect in another two or three weeks she will wean hers and cease being broody. Then the 18 should be safe from her.

They are living creatures and it is hard to be sure what will actually happen, but that is my opinion.

Good luck!

3. carriehelene

carriehelene Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2009
    Capital Region NY
    [​IMG] Yes, she is a very good mama. Which is great for her babies, but bad for the rest of the flock [​IMG] The other babies range in age from 4-6 weeks. She takes her babies all over, showing them what to eat, and if it's to big, she chomps it until it's small. The other hens are scared of her, even the rooster stays away from her. I think she put him in his place the first 2 days after the hatch, because he came out both mornings acting very very bossy, almost aggressive, towards the other hens and me, almost like he'd been humiliated and had to re-establish his authority. Worked with his hens, but I knocked him back and told him if I wasn't scared to take on a 100 lb dog, I sure as heck wasn't gonna put up with no crap from a foot tall rooster. Anyways, your answer was what I was looking for. While I know that, as you say, they are living beings so each will be different, I was hoping for a general guidline. Kind of like, you can plan on eggs around 5-6 months. Not exactly, but somewhere around there. So thanks so much. It's good to know it's not going to last forever!

4. doublebow

doublebow Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2009
    My cuckoo marans hatched out her babies at the last of July/first of August and she is still protective of her babies. It has been really neat to see how she is slowly backing off but still there for them if they get picked on. Sorry your little mama is picking on the other babies. Hope it gets better soon.

5. doublebow

doublebow Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2009
    And by the way, I have the other half of the beetle population you mention in your signature line

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by