So how long will it take a quail to come out after they pip ?

wildwings

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 5, 2014
Just kind of wondering about whats taking so long. Day #23 was on wed as of last night I had 6 of the 17 eggs with tiny little cracks in the eggs. So this morning I figure hey maybe we might have chicks and it didn't look like anything changed in 8 hours. So now I am at working wondering when to expect them to come out. Also just wondering can they peep in the shell ? Thanks

It can take up to 24 hours so I really wouldn't be worried yet, try not to panic. Hatching can't be and shouldn't rushed. They have a lot to do at this point in hatching. Absorbing yolk and blood vessels and they also need to rest before the zip and final push out.
Yes if you listen carefully you can hear them peeping in the shell its how they would communicate with their mother in nature. They also peep to each other in encouragement.
Hope your hatch goes well and good luck :fl

That's good they peep in the shell so we are not going crazy ! I love listening to our quail peeping away. I just talked to my wife who is watching the eggs while I am at work and she said nothing really changed you can see some yellow and black feathers sticking out 2 of the holes but that's about it. She did also confirm one is really vocal. He is just singing away in his egg. I will let you know if anything changes.

No you are not going crazy!! As soon as they do the internal pip into the air cell they begin to learn to breathe for the first time and then start peeping, as the oxygen becomes low and the co2 becomes high they then do the external pip which therefore makes their peeping sound louder.

To be very honest rough and stressful. I thought it would be a lot easier then this. We started with 29 eggs 2 were cracked to start with. At about 13 days ago we were down to 16 for sure fertile eggs 1 iffy that looked like a blood spot. Then we left for the sports show came back and I figured we would have had chicks by then but simply just had 6 pipped eggs. So then I started to read and get advice it might have been low humidity in our incubator which I had no clue about so I added sponges and what not being careful not to lose heat. Any how on Friday 2 chicks popped out simply by themselves. On Sat morning I started freaking out because 14 eggs were left and the day before they were wiggling and pipping and then it went silent that night when I moved my 2 chicks to the Brooder 1 egg started peeping and rolling around. He was already pip for over 24 hours at 10:30pm I gave in and helped him crack the airsack side of the egg open when I seen him trying to wiggle out I left him in the top half of the egg. 6:00am when I went to check on him he was in the same spot so I popped him all the way out. He is still alive but kind of slow. He should be ok just slow to walk around. Any how now I have 13 eggs that haven't done anything. Now I don't know what the heck to do I will let them ride for 1 more day then I am thinking of candling the eggs and listening closely for sound. Sorry to vent but chickens are easier ;)

Also I been posting on this thread adding pictures

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...o-with-out-starting-to-worry/10#post_14238003

No problem it's always best to get things of your chest. Yes could be a humidity problem if you havnt had it high enough they could have become shrink wrapped in the shell and not able to turn in the egg. When I put mine up at lockdown I always have at least 65% I have found this is great for hatching. Hope you have some joy with your remaining eggs but if not hope you have another go at quail they are great little things :frow

My family will keep at the quail however we are looking at upgrading our incubator. We have a sportsman that needs to get a new part and that will work fine. My goal is just to get the hatching part of this down and really go at it with our ringnecks and quail in the spring.

Back
Top Bottom