So how many geese per gander?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by cat1994, Nov 28, 2011.

1. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    I am thinking of getting Pilgrim geese once my trio of low quality African geese pass away. I like having three geese and all (I really like only having one male) but I was thinking that when I get my Pilgrim geese I would like to get three females and one male instead of just two females with one male. Do you think that would be ok? I have heard somewhere that for heavy breeds you should only have two females for every male or the males can hurt themselves or something? Or are Pilgrim geese light enough that having three females for one male won’t be too much for him? I don’t want more then one male at a time but wouldn’t mind having one more female, can one Pilgrim gander handle three geese?

Thanks

2. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    That should be fine. And just to clarify, Pilgrims are not heavy geese, they are a medium class breed.

3. cat1994

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    Oh thanks very much, now all I need to do is convince my dad he should let me get more geese after this trio of Africans and that this time I should get 4 instead of 3 lol

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    That sounds fine but I do have one question. How old are your geese? Geese can live a pretty long time.

5. cat1994

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    Quote:My lil trio is only two years old this year [​IMG] so yeah I have plenty of time before I can get the Pilgrims… but I want them so bad lol I wish dad would be up for me having 7 geese… wow I just realized how many I would have if I got them now [​IMG] , I don’t even think I want that many geese at one time.

6. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    Well, on the bright side, by the time your Africans die naturally you won't need your Dad's permission to get others. [​IMG]

7. Rosecomb-Ryan

Rosecomb-Ryan East Indie Crazed

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    Quote:Isnt that the truth!

3 females and a male should be fine... You might just get some infertile eggs...

8. cat1994

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    Quote:your right lol I never thought of that

9. Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    Ideally with yearling ganders they shouldn't have more than 2 females is what I've heard.
    They're still immature and growing and you don't want to burn them out.
    Depending on your ganders libido when it comes to 3 females...
    if he's not a vigorous breeder he might not cover all 3 females
    especially if he has a favorite which they tend to do so alot depends
    on how bad you want fertile eggs and from all your females or not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by