So how much sleep do week old chicks need?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TN Henny Penny, Feb 5, 2011.

1. TN Henny Penny

TN Henny Penny Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2011
    We picked up our day old chicks last Sunday and all are doing well. The first day, they ate...and ate...and ate. We added the supplement to their water and Grow Gel. The next day, they slept almost the entire day, but they ate enough that they went through most of the feed and water by the end of the next 24 hrs. Their pattern since is to sleep, then someone steps on someone else; they all get up and eat and drink; then they all collapse in little heaps around the brooder. They seem fine to us, but we're so new that I fear we wouldn't notice a problem! The chicks still seem to sleep - a LOT! Is this normal? Are they tired from growing so fast or are they bored?

2. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    Sounds exactly right to me [​IMG]

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:X2

4. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    I like to joke that chicks are narcoleptic; they'll be doing something, they stop, and fall asleep. Cracks me up every time!

5. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    That is all they have to do in life for a while, eat, sleep, poop, repeat.

I always like it when they are sleeping and it looks like they are dead. Gets you to look real close the first few times.

6. TN Henny Penny

TN Henny Penny Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2011
    OK - Thanks for the validation! I must confess that on the first 'sleepy' day, I kept waking one of them up that was sleeping more than the others b/c I thought it was dying! I finally decided that the poor thing probably needed the rest and watched closely for breathing before disturbing it. Falling asleep with beaks on the waterer and feeder, literally with their little faces and beaks straight down in the litter and on top of each other...very funny little critters!

1 person likes this.
  7. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

Lots--they're BABIES.

8. gotweim

gotweim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Romeo, MI
    Quote:[​IMG]

9. Michael Mckone

Michael Mckone New Egg

Feb 26, 2017
    This is completely normal my chick sleeps a lot due to it being young and active they shouldn't be getting bored at there age

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by