1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

so how should i introduce

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Loretta212, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Loretta212

Loretta212 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Meriden ct
    i have 3 new hens and would like to put them with my flock. in my flock i have 4 hens and 6 roos that NEED TO GO! when should i try to add the new hens? I hear at night is best shold i just put them in the coop with them or in the coop in a seperate cage?

2. Southernbell

Southernbell Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2011
    well, you might try putting them in during the day, so you could supervise for a while.....are they the same kind of chickens as the others?

3. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    In the coop in a separate cage would be best, but yes you do need to downsize the roosters. Also make sure you quarantine your new hens if at all possible as they may make your current flock sick! Good luck!!! [​IMG]

4. Southernbell

Dec 22, 2011
    if you are talking about chickens? im not so sure now lol

5. Loretta212

Loretta212 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Meriden ct
    they are not the same kind i have a mixed flock of EEs , RIR , SLW, GLW, some white hen lol, BR

6. Southernbell

Dec 22, 2011
    well, even thoiugh theyre m ixed it shouldnt matter, keep me posted..I like hearing about stuff like this! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by