1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

So I am a worrier, please help me out. Lol

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ashley74, Mar 19, 2015.

1. ashley74

ashley74 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2015
    Central Texas
    So I have four one week old chicks. I have thermometer inside the brooder that says 90 degrees. I noticed two always lay with their necks across each other's. The other two are off on their own. I worry because I'm always reading that if they crowd together it means they are cold. I just don't want to wake up to a dead baby. I want to make sure I'm doing everything correct. So is it normal for two to sleep like that or is it to cold?

2. Odelia

Odelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2014
    Idaho
    It is best if your brooder isn't one consistent temperature. If the heat lamp is on one end of the brooder the chicks can regulate themselves. If they are cold they go right under the lamp if they are warm they move away from it. This is how it works for chicks with a mamma hen. The go and eat and play, when they need warmth they go and warm up under mom. As far as laying together this is normal behavior. If all of your chicks are huddled close together they are cold.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  3. ashley74

ashley74 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2015
    Central Texas

Ok, yes I have the lamp on the edge at one end. I have the thermoter on the side that's the warmest. They seem happy. I just worry, just like I did with my humn babies. Lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by