so I am going back to school once again lol

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by BarefootMom, Jun 15, 2011.

1. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    Background:

Graduated HS in 2004
    Went to NWMSU in Maryville, Mo for 1 year
    Got married in 2006 had 2 kids..(2007 and 2009)
    Started back to school at Ozarks Technical Community College Fall 2009 worked on it until this spring when I couldn't afford to drive there anymore...

So I filled out my FAFSA this morning and have already registered for classes. I want to be a teacher someday...

I am now just trying to get my 60 credit hours so I can substitute teach or became an aide at the school my kids will be attending in a couple of years. I am only 2 credit hours away from 60 hours. But I would like to someday transfer to MSU. I would like to be a High School or Middle School Business teacher.

I qualify for the pell grant but in order to get it to pay I have to be at least part time. So I have scheduled 4 classes--11 credit hours. I really suck at Math and I ended up starting from the bottom of the barrel. I met the man I hatched out some Cochins for this past Sunday only to find out that he TEACHES MATH at OTC only at a different location. BUT he did tell me to keep his cell number and email address if I ever have a question!! Chicken people are so nice...

I am kinda excited to get back into the swing of things and to be able to mingle with people other than my kids lol. I will only be driving down there 2 nights a week so that is perfect-although I will be in classes from 5:30-10pm and I will have 1 online class. OTC is about a 30 minute drive for me and can be tough going into the city right at rush hour. My husband gets home around 4pm, so I will have to leave as soon as he gets home to be sure that I can find a parking space and get into the classroom. My husband will be watching the kids when I am in school.

I tried to make it where I hope I won;t have too much on my plate so to speak. I will be taking Math 050, Principles of Economics 270, Health and Wellness 101, and Public Speaking 105. The main one I am worried about is the public Speaking, but I need to get over that if I am going to be a teacher. [​IMG]

2. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

[​IMG] Good for you!

3. QH Girl

QH Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Congrats! I just started back to school last year. I waited til my oldest graduated from high school, since I wasn't sure if we were both going to survive her teenage years. I've been in computer programming for 20 years, but always wanted to go back to school in psychology. I get annoyed watching all the kids wasting their parents money, sleeping through class, but overall it's been a great experience. Schools love non-traditional students!

Enjoy!

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Cool!

Let me tell you a secret. I flunked math all my life. I just didn't get it. When I went back to college in my late thirties, I had a wonderful professor for the remedial math that I needed. She knew I am relatively fluent in Spanish. One day, she dragged me aside, (I thought I was in trouble) and said "Look, you speak Spanish, right?" I said yeeeeessss.... She then said "Well guess what - math is just another language, but it's understood the WORLD over! Think what fun you can have with THAT!"

Literally a life changing moment for me. Once I got that concept down, I got a lot of flak from fellow students- I had ruined the grading on the curve for the rest! [​IMG]

Public speaking is hard for me too, I get nervous. And my voice fades away, because my throat constricts. The easiest way I found to deal with it was to focus on the individuals, constantly shifting to each one.

Best of luck to ya!

5. BarefootMom

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    Quote:those kids will be sorry! I sure am--that first year of college I ended up being on academic probabation (and my parents weren't paying I had student loans in which I am still paying on)- I ended the first semester at OTC with all A's. I didn't know a thing about the real world and I am still learning! lol I wish I could holler at some of the kids that don't show up to class or when they do they only sleep/text/play games on the computer/talk ect and don't pay attention at all.

I have been a SAHM for almost 4 years. Before that I worked in a bank for 2 years and waitressed. I have babysat off and on over the past few years but mostly just been a mom. I really enjoyed my computer classes that I have taken--learned a ton of information. I have taken some business classes and thought about just a degree in general business but I decided on the teaching instead. In my Math 040 class (the bottom of the barrel) I got a chance to teach the kids and I really enjoyed it. My teacher talked to me afterward and really inspired me.

6. ChicksterJo

ChicksterJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Grounded on Earth
    [​IMG]
    Now that I've graduated college I still want to continue learning everyday. I want to take some classes and maybe get a substitute teacher's certificate. I want to have as many job options as possible.

I hate public speaking (in big groups), too. But I think it just takes practice and time. The more you do it, the more naturally it'll come to you. Have fun!!

7. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    As a college teacher I ADORE non-traditional students. Especially if they are willing to talk in class.

If you need to talk about anything feel free to PM me!

8. BarefootMom

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    Quote:I have always had trouble with algebra. Last fall when I was in Math 040 I had trouble at first but I had a great teacher. I caught on really quick and got to help teach some of the students. I ended up with a 98% in that class.

As for public speaking my lip quivers-almost like I am about to cry. It is something I have got to work on! lol but I know I am not the only one and won't be the only one in the class that has troubles.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by