So I answered an ad on Craigslist

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Broke Down Ranch, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Broke Down Ranch

Broke Down Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Texas
    A woman had FREE duck eggs - call duck and rouen! She was just guessing at how many were out there but her hens were going broody on them and she did NOT want any babies. So we drove the hour to her place and came away with 99 eggs [​IMG] ! Yes, you read that right. I candled them when we got home and of the 99 there were still 52 GOOD ones! WITH 2 TRYING TO HATCH ON THE WAY HOME! [​IMG]

What was I thinking? the eggs are so staggered they go all the way from just a couple days incubated to trying to hatch [​IMG]

I guess I just had too much time on my hands and needed even more to do (along with all my animals, 4 kids, housework, garden work and college) [​IMG]

Anybody want some ducks?? (please) [​IMG]

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] is right!

How did you transport them back and keep them warm?

congrats........ enjoy!

3. Fowl-Language

Fowl-Language Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Longview, WA
    HAHAHAHAHA!!!
    I learned to stay away from craigslist -- my yard can't support all the free/cheap chickens that are available!

4. Broke Down Ranch

Apr 18, 2007
    Texas
    Quote:hahahahahahahaha! I live in Texas. Our high today was 96. It is currently, at 5:58 p.m. CST, 95ยบ with a heat index of 101...keeping them warm wasn't an issue [​IMG]

5. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    OMG! That's like a dream come true! Are they pure or mixes? I'd have peed my pants if someone gave me that many call duck eggs! hehe

6. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    What the heck... why doesn't anyone around HERE give away free birds? [​IMG] You lucky duck! Congrats! Can't wait to see some pictures!!

7. lost

lost Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2008
    ,nc
    Thats awesome [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Broke Down Ranch

Apr 18, 2007
    Texas
    The calls are mixed but the parents are very nice and they were even separated, just not according to color....lol. I can NOT believe how many of the rouen eggs were good considering there was only 1 hen!

9. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Awesome! (I meant mixed with the rouens! hehe Mixed color calls, I'd totally be thrilled over the moon for! hehe)

10. Broke Down Ranch

Apr 18, 2007
    Texas
    Quote:Ohhhh, no the calls were separated and were even separated amongst themselves but they were mixed colors.... I know, sounds crazy but who knows - I might get some really pretty babies. Each pen had a white-bibbed black drake covering grey hens plus 1 pen had a white hen and the other had a white-bibbed black so might be some pures....I was too busy checking out all her other critters (she had a WALLABY!!!) DH was the one doing "duck-duty" [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by