So I bred two of my chickens, but the babies don't look like either breeds.

elmoflim

Songster
5 Years
Mar 12, 2015
Simpsonville
Can you guess their parents' breeds from looking at them? All five come from the same hen and rooster.

EE and Orpington?

Weirdly no ee, but I'm wondering if one of the hen's parents were ee. The hen is a buff Orpington that I bought as a chick at a feed store and the father is a pure white silkie whose parents were both white silkies.

Last edited:
I was thinking for a buff Orpington/silkie cross they really do look like ee chicks. I'm so glad I wasn't alone in it I felt a bit crazy.
I don't know where the stripes came from. The hen in the picture doesn't look like she has any EE in her, but looks can be deceiving. I can see, now that you told me, that the chicks are part silkie. I wonder what they'll look like when full grown.

Weirdly no ee, but I'm wondering if one of the hen's parents were ee. The hen is a buff Orpington that I bought as a chick at a feed store and the father is a pure white silkie whose parents were both white silkies.
The hen is a pure Buff Orpington, and the rooster is a typical hatchery-type Silkie.
White Silkies are recessive white. That means a bird must inherit one recessive white gene from each parent to show the color. Anything could be lurking under that white. Silkie feathering is also a recessive gene. Buff is a complicated color, one that is still not fully understood. It can hide all sorts of things.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom