So I broke an egg tonight for dinner, and - surprise! It was fertile..

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Hecate, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Hecate

Hecate Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2009
    Ohio
    We have 9 chickens, all of which I thought were pullets (only one is laying right now, two more are on the cusp). Well, a fertile egg can only mean one thing - the silky she is a he! I'm not completely sure on the fertility, since these are the first chickens we've had, but I am starting a hatch this week, so I'm going to put one of the GLW's eggs in the 'bator and I'll see what happens! Wish me luck - could be a neat little chick!

2. chicklady63

chicklady63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    Good luck! The silkie hybrids can be really great birds. I have some cochin/silkie mixes. Mine are good layers & the "Mercedes" of the broody hens.[​IMG]

3. digginchicks

digginchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2009
    Sullivan, Indiana
    I ddin't think that I sould have any fertile eggs the other day either because I have all of my roosters in pens but I still have some fertile eggs some how. Haha. Its okay with me but I wish that it didn't happen.

4. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    How did you know it was fertile? Did you see just a white spot, or the bullseye one?

5. Hecate

Jan 27, 2009
    Ohio
    The two most recent eggs both had bullseye spots. The older eggs had a small, almost firm looking (if that's the word I'm looking for) white spot. I took a much more informed look at our silky tonight, and have determined that he is definitely a he!

Thanks to BYC and its members for all the great info. and pictures that have helped me out in this chicken adventure!

6. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    Wow! That's great. I wish we could get a rooster for chicks, but you can't get one unless you live a certain distance away from the neighbours, but I live in the city, so I can't.

Good luck with your hatching! I love wyandottes.

7. elusiveracer

elusiveracer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2009
    Urban, MA
    He does not crow?

8. Hecate

Jan 27, 2009
    Ohio
    He is the noisiest of the chickens, but I have never heard what I would call a crow. Some on BYC have said that their silkies crow, but quietly or with a different sound than their other roosters. Others have mentioned that a silky roo without any other roos around may not "say" much.

We certainly weren't planning on having a rooster -- we are right smack in the middle of town. But, we haven't noticed him and neither have our neighbors. And, fortuately for us, there are no regulations against roosters (we're in a rural community - a bonus in many ways!).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by