So I decided to build an underground coop: UPDATE pg 33

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Oblio13, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I've been intrigued by colonial era bank houses and Anasazi pit houses for years, and I figured this was as good an excuse as any to build one. Hopefully an earth-sheltered, sod-roofed coop will be warmer in winter and cooler in summer than our conventional one, and muffle the rooster's crowing for our neighbors. Even though my long-suffering wife is accustomed to my eccentricities, she was mildly appalled when she saw the hole in our yard.

After three days with a pick and shovel, this is what I had accomplished:

[​IMG]

A neighbor with a little backhoe took pity when he saw the blisters on my tender pink hands and speeded things up:

[​IMG]

Now I have a ten-foot by twelve-foot hole. There's still a tremendous amount of dirt to move to level and square it, hope I can get it done before the ground freezes.

My tentative plan is too leave the floor dirt, and use pressure-treated 4"x8" timbers to build up the sides, notched log-cabin style to resist the pressure of backfilling. I'll put a gently sloping sod roof over it, and a window in the south-facing door.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  2. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    Wow, someone's an overachiever....LOL!!! Thanks for the pics, make sure you post more as the coop progresses.....great idea, hope it works out!!!

3. Chicken Cluck

Chicken Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Very creative idea. I never would have thought of that! [​IMG]

4. djackjr

djackjr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Graham Wa.
    Interesting idea. Let us know how it turns out. My wife put up with my hole in the ground for the koi pond. hole year 1 was a mud hole lol, year two finished beautifull koi pond.. Now if I can keep the koi killer out of the pond, Imagine a guy in robe with broom in hand trying to scare off oversized Heron!!! [​IMG]

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Very clever idea!...cant wait to see how it turns out...[​IMG]

6. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

if i was a chicken, it would be hard talking me into that big ole grave

haha [​IMG]

7. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Quote:Hmmm.... cant imagine. Post a pic! lol!!!

8. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    Very nice!

Would love to see pics of it when it is finished. Wayyyyy too much work for me--but more power to you!

9. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Looks great I can't wait to see it finished also!

Henry

10. Cason

Cason Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow! That is GREAT!!! Why didn't I think of that! I built an earth contact home.. why not for chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by