So, I emailed the editor of a magazine...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by gritsar, Sep 9, 2009.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    after they featured a piece by a humorist that made chickenkeeping sound like the worst kind of torture. I've read this gentlemans stories before and I know his story on chickens was in jest, but I feared that a newbie, considering owning chickens for the first time would be really put off by his comments, such as comparing a chicken's intelligence to that of a turnip, smelly coops and brooders (lined with newspapers *gasp*), hens fouling their nests, and mean roosters.
    I was in "a mood", so I set them straight on a few things.
    I just got an email back. Actually the second email from the publisher. The first email apologized if his story offended me. It didn't and I told them that.
    Today's email said they wanted permission to publish my email. Said they felt it was important that their readers hear the happy side of keeping chickens and felt my email would open up a dialogue to that end.
    I'm kinda happy about that. [​IMG]

2. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    So which mag and what was your e-mail????? [​IMG]

3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Good for you! [​IMG] I think its great you said something. We don't want anyone to think raising chickens is a bad thing. After all, someone may not know the guy was "kidding", right?

4. Rillion

Rillion Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Texas
    Cool! If you have links, I'd be interested to read the original commentary as well as your response to it.

5. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    b.hromada :

Good for you! [​IMG] I think its great you said something. We don't want anyone to think raising chickens is a bad thing. After all, someone may not know the guy was "kidding", right?

That's the way I feel about it. I've read this man's sort of tongue-in-cheek humor before, but still someone might take his comments the wrong way.
    It's GRIT magazine. The editor said my email would be featured in the mailbag seciton of their November/December issue.
    I took issue with his comments about chickens intelligence. Yeah, they aren't the sharpest tools in the shed, but they can learn what a chicken needs to know; also a comment about their survival instincts. How they aren't smelly if properly maintained and how to keep hens from fouling their nests.
    Also, about how a mean rooster had two chances around here. Be reformed or re-shaped, into potpie. [​IMG]

6. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I did a search of the author's name on their website and brought up alot of his stories, but not the one on chickens I took issue with.
    The website address is www.GRIT.com

***By the way, on their homepage, if you'll look in the upper right hand corner, you can register to win a coop they are giving away. [​IMG] ***

It is one of my favorite magazines.

7. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

[​IMG]

8. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Neat! It sounds like they actually CARE! Maybe you have the magic power of being able to get polite replies. I never get any replies.

9. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    Hey Gritsar, now you can brag that you've been PUBLISHED.

10. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Uh, yeah. As I said, I was in a mood that day. I deleted my original email after I received their first response, so I'm not sure of everything I wrote.
    Let's hope that I didn't make a total fool of myself. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by