So I fed them deer scraps....

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by sparkles2307, Nov 16, 2009.

1. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

they loved it, but now I am not getting any eggs???

2. AkTomboy

AkTomboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    DJ, Alaska
    Has nothing else changed other feed, lighting, weather? How long as it been? I feed mine scraps from my moose, bear, bou anything and everything we get up here and dont have any problems. I also feed it quite a bit my girls get a suet block every other day bewteen them all. I am getting 13/13 eggs again from all of the girls who are old enough to be laying.

3. sparkles2307

Um, 2 weeks no wait 3 weeks ago we shut them up for good in the winter pen, and for the last 3 weeks I went from 4 to 2 eggs a day and then over this weekend I went to zero. They are warm, getting the same feed just more of it and very well watered. Nothing has changed besides the weather and being penned up but like I said it was 3 weeks ago.

4. sparkles2307

No thin shells either, nothing to indicate an issue. just dead stop

5. AkTomboy

AkTomboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    DJ, Alaska
    Quote:How about the amount of light they are getting? Could they be going into a molt? Also how much room do they have?

I would think if if was the deer scraps it would have started right after you fed it to them. [​IMG]

I know with the lack of light and the cold we are getting up here if I didnt have a light my eggs would drop off a cliff. We are only getting 6 hours and 7 mins of light with the average temp of -10 right now.

6. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

the scraps shouldnt have anything to do with it....

I hazard the guess that it is a) due to lower light levels, and b) possible molting etc.

They just may be taking a break! But the scraps wont knock them off the eggs...I have always feed meat scraps to my flock and they keep on laying with no issues....I have noticed a drop off due to the lack of light tho...its getting dark so early now!

7. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Nothing has changed besides the weather and being penned up but like I said it was 3 weeks ago.

Those are huge changes.
    Light level probably have the most influence​

8. sparkles2307

We hung a heat lamp in the pen and started getting eggs again [​IMG]

9. chickenteen

chickenteen Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2009
    richlands N.C.
    i just throw my meat in and let them eat it

10. silkymom

silkymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2009
    hello,
    my guys have been picking at deer parts for 2 weeks now , they love it. i give em the backbone to clean off and since the dog draggs it around they get exercise too,
    silkymom

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by