So I fed them deer scraps....

Has nothing else changed other feed, lighting, weather? How long as it been? I feed mine scraps from my moose, bear, bou anything and everything we get up here and dont have any problems. I also feed it quite a bit my girls get a suet block every other day bewteen them all. I am getting 13/13 eggs again from all of the girls who are old enough to be laying.

Um, 2 weeks no wait 3 weeks ago we shut them up for good in the winter pen, and for the last 3 weeks I went from 4 to 2 eggs a day and then over this weekend I went to zero. They are warm, getting the same feed just more of it and very well watered. Nothing has changed besides the weather and being penned up but like I said it was 3 weeks ago.

Quote:
How about the amount of light they are getting? Could they be going into a molt? Also how much room do they have?

I would think if if was the deer scraps it would have started right after you fed it to them.
hu.gif

I know with the lack of light and the cold we are getting up here if I didnt have a light my eggs would drop off a cliff. We are only getting 6 hours and 7 mins of light with the average temp of -10 right now.

the scraps shouldnt have anything to do with it....

I hazard the guess that it is a) due to lower light levels, and b) possible molting etc.

They just may be taking a break! But the scraps wont knock them off the eggs...I have always feed meat scraps to my flock and they keep on laying with no issues....I have noticed a drop off due to the lack of light tho...its getting dark so early now!

Nothing has changed besides the weather and being penned up but like I said it was 3 weeks ago.

Those are huge changes.
Light level probably have the most influence​

hello,
my guys have been picking at deer parts for 2 weeks now , they love it. i give em the backbone to clean off and since the dog draggs it around they get exercise too,
silkymom

Back
Top Bottom