So I found this chicken...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by grinn75, Jun 24, 2011.

1. grinn75

grinn75 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2011
    Seriously, my neighbor found a chicken wandering at a nearby park. The poor thing is now in a nice big cage in my backyard. I used to raise and release orphaned birds and squirrels so had this nice cage in my backyard. I had contemplated getting chickens because I love fresh eggs but didn't plan it this way. I have checked local boards, newspapers, and craig's list but no one has reported a missing chicken. Any help on identifying breed and tips for caring for her would be greatly appreciated. Here's a pic.[​IMG]

2. grinn75

Jun 24, 2011
    I guess the pic didn't post. I'm not sure how to post pics yet.

3. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas-sized [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I believe you have to post a bit more before you have picture posting privileges !

Congrats on the chicken!!

4. BirdNut

BirdNut Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2010
    Suprise, Arizona
    Hi! Welcome to BYC, and the chicken-keeping addiction!

Sorry about your picture not coming up. To prevent spam, there is a certain number of posts that you should have before you get the priviledge to post pictures.

5. grinn75

Jun 24, 2011
    Since I can't post a pic I will try to describe her. She is a large chicken and her coloring is best described as brindled, light brown and black. She has feathers that stick up around the sides of her face. She has a dark beak and feet. I used to rehab birds so I know how to assess body condition and other than being bit thin she seems to be in good shape. I haven't been able to go to a feed store yet so am giving her cracked corn, seeds, veggies, and fruit. Anyone got reccommendations for type of feed?
    I put a cat carrier in the pen last night so she would have a safe covered place to sleep but I guess I need to build something else. The squirrel nest boxes are little too small. [​IMG]

6. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds a bit like an Easter Egger to me, but no telling without a pic. [​IMG]

There are different types of feed, but layer pellets or layer crumbles should suit her just fine if she looks like an adult.

7. KansasKate

KansasKate Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    IT sounds like you've got a pretty good setup, depending on the size of the cage. Sounds like a little chicken tractor! I'll be interested to see the pictures. You might want some straw or pine shavings for nesting. Hopefully you have a farm store (Tractor Supply, Orschelns, feed store) nearby to get some food. She won't starve on what you're giving her, though!

8. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I would never have believed this if it hadn't happened to my brothers friend who lives in the heart of the city of Syracuse. It was a hen and I gave her away.

9. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. If the chicken looks like it has muffs on it's face, I agree with The PP sounds like an EE. [​IMG]

10. BirdNut

BirdNut Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2010
    Suprise, Arizona
    I have a bird who fits your description, I think.

[​IMG]

Would you agree? If so, you have an Easter Egger.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by