So... I got back into ducks...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chicken_boy_Kurt, Oct 3, 2011.

1. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    I bought six Call ducklings from a friend's parents in my 4-H club, and they're currently making me kick out my resident chickens (I only have four, and I need to simplify and downsize because of college). So I'll probably be keeping the best trio from that. Maybe a quad, though. And then I'm buying my friend's trio of Saxony hens from Holderread's. Speaking of which, does anyone know where I could buy a nice Saxony drake? Would I just contact Holderread's? Do they sell adults/juveniles?

But yeah, I'm really excited, 'cause it's been awhile since I've owned ducks. And I've always wanted Calls. :]

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    That's great. You'll really enjoy the Calls.
    What color?

3. chicken_boy_Kurt

Mar 20, 2008
    They're white; not my favorite color, but I'm still excited.

4. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:Congrats! I had a call pair, but I traded them for two female khakis, I was in need of eggs. I had a black bibbed, and a grey pied, the bibbed was the female, and the pied was the male. post pics when you can!

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Welcome back to Duckdom! [​IMG]

6. GrannyCarol

GrannyCarol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    Washington
    Where do you live? I still have a couple of very pretty drakes from this summer's hatch for another week. I outcrossed Holderread's to another line and they are beauties! Not much use if you aren't nearby though. I'm in Eastern WA.

7. chicken_boy_Kurt

Mar 20, 2008
    Quote:I'm in PA. [​IMG] How much would you charge for the bird and shipping?

8. GrannyCarol

Jul 7, 2011
    Washington
    Oh man, I would have on idea how to ship him! I don't even have a local Post Office any more. So sorry!

I could ship eggs next spring, if you want to try to hatch them (and I won't ding you a fortune on them either!). I don't have breeders separated out now and they aren't laying a whole lot atm in any case, pretty wintery here.

9. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    GrannyCarol are you very far from a post office? I can tell you how to ship him if it wouldn't be a long way for you to go to a PO.
    Shipping loves from WA to PA MIGHT be pretty costly, though. You could call and find out.

10. GrannyCarol

Jul 7, 2011
    Washington
    I'm not really comfortable trying to ship an adult duck, I think it would be really stressful on my boy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by