1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

So I guess they have internal clocks??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mommysongbird, May 19, 2011.

1. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Our 5 week old chicks were raising cain the other night! From like 8:00 PM until about 10:00 and I had NO idea what was going on. Well finally I couldn't listen to it any longer so I closed up their brooder where no light could get in. This is our brooder (notice the interlocking panels). I closed it all in like it is in the pick and then put two more pannels on the top, they quited down and went to sleep.

[​IMG]

Who knew that chickens had internal clocks and when those clocks would turn on. [​IMG]

2. jcf3202

jcf3202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Who would think that such tiny chicks could make so much noise!

3. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    What time do you usually turn out the lights? 8:30? They may have been doing the bedtime song, which eventually turns into the bedtime trill.

What are your panels made of? foam?

4. Mommysongbird

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Quote:If your speaking of that particular picture then that is when they were like 3 weeks old, maybe.

5. Mommysongbird

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Quote:My hubby will stay up late, so sometimes the lights don't go out until around 11:00 PM or so. Of course on that night they made such a racket that he decided to turn of the TV and go upstairs to read a book. [​IMG]

The panels are foam. The are like for exercises on or just sitting on.

6. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Hah! Then it worked! They got to go to sleep. [​IMG]

7. Aemelia

Aemelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    My chickens made a consistant amount of noise quiet sweet to hear for 7 weeks. That night they were so loud we couldn't hear the TV over them. So we had my teenagers come down and they got moved to the basement right there and then, turns out my teenagers can make a lot of noise too but it got done. Hahaha They needed a regular schedule that they weren't getting in our living room. They are going outside full time if the overnight temps could get constantly above 40.

8. Mommysongbird

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    I kinda wish we could move ours somewhere else so that they can be on some kind of schedule, but there is no where to put them. Hopefully my hubby can get some more vaca time and we can get their coop done and they can start going out at least in the daytime for a while and then stay out all night. We are in kind of a cold spell right now, but the temps are in the 50's most nights, they were in the 60's, not sure what happened. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by