So I had a successful hatch and then three days later, one of them dies-

KenyannaDyer

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 20, 2014
I bought sebastopol geese eggs from ebay. Twelve. In the end seven hatched and I was very happy. I decided that I would keep two as pets and sell the other five here on BYC. Everything was going well, although I noticed one of the chicks didn't chirp constantly like the others. From the moment it hatched it was just so... quiet.

I thought maybe it was shy.

Then last night while I was changing their water and feed I noticed that the shy gosling was just sitting in the corner away from the others and its head was wobbling. I picked it up and noticed that it was VERY light. Compared to the other geese who have grow a lot and quickly, this one appear to have barely grown. (and I always keep a LOT of food with them so I know there was enough for it to eat) I tried to get it to perk up. I sat it on the ground, stroked its back, talked to it but it kept sitting there. Its head wobbling, and eyes drooping close. The chick tried to walk a few times but feel over its own feet then just... laid there.

Right then I had this feeling it was going to die. The whole sight was just horrible to watch and had me crying like a baby. The chick struggled to stand, struggled to keep its head up but couldn't. I took it downstairs and tried to force feed it food and water. It wasn't really interested and kept falling over. To make a long story short, I kept trying to feed it and but the poor chick died a few hours later.

I don't understand what happened. I hope someone can tell me. Did I do something wrong durning the incubation? Why would the chick just die like that? I really don't want this to happen to my others, especially not the two that I've named, put diapers on and spend ALL my time with.

Last edited:
Sometimes there are some goslings that just do not thrive. They stop eating and just die. I hate to say it but not every gosling we hatch will make it to adulthood. A question for you what are you feeding the goslings? They need either waterfowl crumble or gamebird crumble and lots of grass and dandelion greens. Because niacin is something waterfowl need to keep strong legs and condition. Too much crumble can cause too much protein and the wing will go into Twisted wing tip or angel wing. So goslings should be taken off crumble at 3 weeks of age and onto adult maintenance waterfowl feed or multiflock feed. But the main diet is Grass.
Hope this helps you understand better. Sorry you lost a gosling but we all lose gosling to not thriving syndrome.

Sometimes there are some goslings that just do not thrive. They stop eating and just die. I hate to say it but not every gosling we hatch will make it to adulthood. A question for you what are you feeding the goslings? They need either waterfowl crumble or gamebird crumble and lots of grass and dandelion greens. Because niacin is something waterfowl need to keep strong legs and condition. Too much crumble can cause too much protein and the wing will go into Twisted wing tip or angel wing. So goslings should be taken off crumble at 3 weeks of age and onto adult maintenance waterfowl feed or multiflock feed. But the main diet is Grass.
Hope this helps you understand better. Sorry you lost a gosling but we all lose gosling to not thriving syndrome.
Thank you for the reply. It doesn't make me happy (I can't bring back the poor baby T_T). At least I didn't do anything wrong durning incubation. I just don't want anyone else to die. I spend hours crying over the poor thing.

I'm feeding them: http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/dumorreg;-chick-starter-grower-20%-feed-50-lb

Dumor Chick Starter. The man at tractor supply said that it was good for them. Was he right?

Should I go outside and tear up grass for them to eat along with the feed?

Thank you for the reply. It doesn't make me happy (I can't bring back the poor baby T_T). At least I didn't do anything wrong durning incubation. I just don't want anyone else to die. I spend hours crying over the poor thing.

I'm feeding them: http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/dumorreg;-chick-starter-grower-20%-feed-50-lb

Dumor Chick Starter. The man at tractor supply said that it was good for them. Was he right?

Should I go outside and tear up grass for them to eat along with the feed?
Yes, grass, dandelion greens and chop good leaf lettuce for them also. So sorry you lost your gosling - I have one right now that is not doing too well either - if it were a person I would say failure to thrive. I go 5, and 4 are growing really well, one is just barely bigger than it was, looks like it is eating and drinking, but maybe not as active. We're trying our best but like RURU said, some just don't always live to be adults.

Thank you! I pulled up some grass from outside and gave it to all of them. They LOVE it. I'll buy some leaf lettuce as well. I hope your gosling pulls through. :( It's really sad when they die.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom