So I had this idea..

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Debs55, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Debs55

Debs55 Chillin' With My Peeps

I saw the idea for grass frames on here a few months ago and decided to try them. Unfortunately they did not work with my girls because they got smart and all stood on them at the same time so that they were almost touching the ground and pulled all of it up. So I had to move a smaller chain link pen into the fun for another reason. And decided I should just plant grass and other things in it. Close the gate and let it grow then when it gets grown up open the gate and let them go in. Then Let it grow back up again and repeat. What do y'all think?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    You need support in the center. I build a ladder like structure with 2X6s on end about 2 ft. apart crossed with lattice or 1X2. Then cover that with 1X2 welded wire.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I also put in something that will grow taller like field peas, vetch, alfalfa, oats, turnips, beets.

4. Debs55

It does have support but it obviously can't support 20 chickens jumping on it! :) ill try your suggestion of taller plants. Right now I'm using a mixture of rye grass and plain garden weeds from our vegetable garden

5. esoaksranch

esoaksranch Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2011
    Can you post a pic of this? I'm very interested in what your talking about. Thanks

6. Debs55

Sure! I'm not quite done with it yet but I'll go take a picture tomorrow and post it :)

7. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

It is almost like a modified paddock system. Awesome!!

8. Debs55

Thanks! My parents thought I was crazy when I started "planting" grass and weeds lol I'm also sprouting some peas in pots and am plannin to transplant them in my garden too :) pics will be up later today

9. Debs55

Ok if it ever stops raining here I promise pics will be up!

10. Debs55

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by