So I Had to Cull My First Chick, A 2-Week-Old Meat Bird

dangerouschicken

Will Barter For Coffee
12 Years
May 6, 2007
Columbia Gorge, OR
One of my meat birds... he couldn't walk for two days. I tried everything to help him, and I remembered (I think it was) MP saying you can't fix splayed legs once they are messed up on a meat bird.

I didn't want to do it, but there is that moment when you look at them struggling, and you just have to make that decision to end their little lives. I had to cull him.

I have to add that he was cute for a meat chicken.

What we do for this hobby, right?

Last edited:
It's something I have to deal with on a regular basis here. My wife neer wants to know, either.

So, when she asks what happened to the chicken in the "hospital" (we have some rabbit hutches we use for sick animals) I just tell her that its head fell off.

Quote:
That's a funny post, in a sad way...
I hate culling the meat birds too, but when they're obviously unable to get around or squealing in pain, you know you have to do something.

I leave this up to DH as well. I just give him the word. He would never do it otherwise, without my decision to cull first. I never ask how he does it. It's just "done".

Proud of you!

Thanks for understanding. It is kinda haunting to me, like an image I can't get out of my head. But you know, it had to be done. My husband watched me do it, too. I guess we were in it together.

I had, still do, a meat chick that developed a bad splayed leg. To the point he couldn't walk. I brought him inside at 2 weeks with another chick I was watching and put the tape hobbles on him. I probably should have culled him as he wasn't growing like the others. But I didn't..

I kept the hobbles on him and kicked him back out to the barn at 4 weeks. Well he lived, at 7 weeks I cut the hobbles off completely. He is now almost 9 weeks and starting to look right for butchering. He is getting around just fine too.

I understand your wanting to cull it. Mine took a little extra care on my part. But these things are so delicate anyway it sucks when you loose one.
big_smile.png

I've tried to do that a couple of times... one we were able to nurse until harvest. She was a little on the small side, but it worked. But I've had some that were literally screaming in pain, so we had to do what's right and put them down. It's so sad...
sad.png
I have one right now that is looking like it's having issues, but as long as it still has the ability to muscle in on the food, I leave it there.

So sorry you had to do it... but it's part of the process. :aww

Back
Top Bottom