So I Had to Cull My First Chick, A 2-Week-Old Meat Bird

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by dangerouschicken, Jun 18, 2008.

1. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    One of my meat birds... he couldn't walk for two days. I tried everything to help him, and I remembered (I think it was) MP saying you can't fix splayed legs once they are messed up on a meat bird.

I didn't want to do it, but there is that moment when you look at them struggling, and you just have to make that decision to end their little lives. I had to cull him.

I have to add that he was cute for a meat chicken.

What we do for this hobby, right?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  2. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    It's something I have to deal with on a regular basis here. My wife neer wants to know, either.

So, when she asks what happened to the chicken in the "hospital" (we have some rabbit hutches we use for sick animals) I just tell her that its head fell off.

3. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Quote:That's a funny post, in a sad way...
    I hate culling the meat birds too, but when they're obviously unable to get around or squealing in pain, you know you have to do something.

4. silkhope

silkhope Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    Pittsboro, NC
    I leave this up to DH as well. I just give him the word. He would never do it otherwise, without my decision to cull first. I never ask how he does it. It's just "done".

Proud of you!

5. Jacky'sMamma

Jacky'sMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Antelope, CA
    Quote::aww

Very sad, sorry.

6. dangerouschicken

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Thanks for understanding. It is kinda haunting to me, like an image I can't get out of my head. But you know, it had to be done. My husband watched me do it, too. I guess we were in it together.

7. WrenAli

WrenAli Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Lebanon, OR
    I had, still do, a meat chick that developed a bad splayed leg. To the point he couldn't walk. I brought him inside at 2 weeks with another chick I was watching and put the tape hobbles on him. I probably should have culled him as he wasn't growing like the others. But I didn't..

I kept the hobbles on him and kicked him back out to the barn at 4 weeks. Well he lived, at 7 weeks I cut the hobbles off completely. He is now almost 9 weeks and starting to look right for butchering. He is getting around just fine too.

I understand your wanting to cull it. Mine took a little extra care on my part. But these things are so delicate anyway it sucks when you loose one. [​IMG]

8. dangerouschicken

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Wow, where were you when I was asking if he could be saved [​IMG]

I think it is great you were able to get him to his final destination.

YUM!

9. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    I've tried to do that a couple of times... one we were able to nurse until harvest. She was a little on the small side, but it worked. But I've had some that were literally screaming in pain, so we had to do what's right and put them down. It's so sad... [​IMG] I have one right now that is looking like it's having issues, but as long as it still has the ability to muscle in on the food, I leave it there.

So sorry you had to do it... but it's part of the process. :aww

10. dangerouschicken

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Thanks. You are right. It's part of the process. I will try to put that first in my mind.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by