so i have a ee roo...what can i expect for offspring with my hens?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by shennessey818, Jan 5, 2015.

1. shennessey818

shennessey818 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2014
    Michigan
    I bought this guy as a ameraucana. I however have learned he is a ee. (He don't have the standard pea comb).anyways im putting him with my girls and was gonna hatch their eggs. My hens are white leghorns,black sexlinks,red sexlinks heres a pic of my roo..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. englishcockers

englishcockers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2014
    Morrill Nebraska
    It's kind of a roll of the dice with EE's. But,if he carries the blue egg gene, You could get some blue eggers from your Leghorns and olive eggers from from your sex link birds. Leghorn cross will be mostly white with some flecks of mostly black feathers. The sexlinks will get you a variety of colors. But, you'll only know exactly what you get when you get it.

1 person likes this.
  3. shennessey818

Jun 1, 2014
    Michigan
    Anyone have any guesses?

4. Old Rando

Old Rando Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    No other replies will be better than the first one.

2 people like this.
  5. shennessey818

Jun 1, 2014
    Michigan

thank you didn't see the first response when i posted that. Thank you for your replies :)

6. shennessey818

Jun 1, 2014
    Michigan
    Also will all the chickens i hatch be easter egger or will some take the mother gene and lay white/brown eggs?

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X2 on englishcockers. Since EEs also carry one brown egg gene, you will likely get a number of brown or cream colored eggs from his offspring.

8. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

IF one of his parents was a brown leghorn (purely a guess from his feather colorr) he will not carry a brown egg shell gene.

9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    True. Virtually all hatchery EEs have blue and brown egg parents for producing colored eggs as a white egg parent will give a white overlay to the egg, but who knows where this rooster's parentage came from?

10. englishcockers

englishcockers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2014
    Morrill Nebraska
    Again, you don't know what you get till you get it. Because the blue egg gene is very close to the gene for pea comb, on the same chromosome, about 95% of the time it follows the pea comb. But not always. So, if some of the chicks have single combs they will likely lay either a white or brown egg. Likely, but not certain. Since some EE's are just non standard americanas, and some are crosses of various breeds with some percentage carrying the blue egg gene, test breeding is the only way to know what your rooster is carrying. To quote a very old post on the forum:

"Actually, because the blue egg gene is dominant only one of the parents need to carry the gene for some off springs eggs to be blue. Each parent can have zero, one, or two blue eggs genes.
    A chick gets one copy of the gene from each parent. If the chick has 1 or 2 blue egg genes, their eggs will be blue. If the chick receives a non blue egg gene from both parents the eggs will not be blue. Green eggs are blue eggs that are covered with brown. The blue is underneath. So if a brown egg layer also has the gene for blue eggs the eggs will look green or olive.
    O - blue egg o-non blue egg
    one parent other parent
    OO oo = all blue egg layers
    Oo oo = 50 percent blue egg layers
    oo oo = no blue egg layers
    OO OO = all blue egg layers"
    I can't say it better.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by