So, I have a question....

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 1stChick, May 3, 2017.

1. 1stChick

1stChick New Egg

May 2, 2017
    Without going into the big, long book I had typed out.. I am a proud first time chicken momma! We have two BSL that are right at 6 weeks old and got 6 RSL over the weekend (not planned) that are a few days old. We rent, and had gotten the coop plans okayed by my land lord. We were/are planning a 4x8 coop with an 8x10 run. We had based our measurements on what seemed to be the overwhelming consenus of 4sqft in the coop and 10sqft in the run per bird. Then late Monday night she called me and asked me to hold off on construction because she is beginning to think it will be too big. I love them all already and do not want to have to give any away, so my BYC people, I need help. Can we make due with a smaller coop? What about chicken tunnels? Are they a viable option? Free range them while we are home? Ideas? Suggestions? HELP!?!?!?!?!

We live in Rural Arkansas.
    Mild winters. Most winters we don't even see snow. When we do, it is usually less than two inches and lasts about a day.
    Brutal summers that seem to stretch from late May to late November. Several 100+ degree days.
    I work part time and am gone, usually between school hours though that changes from time to time.
    Plan on cleaning the coop once a week, minimum of week and a half. [​IMG]

2. 1stChick

1stChick New Egg

May 2, 2017
    I don't know why my other picture is not uploading...

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  3. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  4. 1stChick

1stChick New Egg

May 2, 2017
    Thank you so much for the feedback! I am hoping everything works out!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by