So I have poison oak...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by EmtheFishLady, Aug 5, 2011.

1. EmtheFishLady

EmtheFishLady We're all mad here Premium Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    Word of advice? Don't get alcohol on poison oak. It kinda sets you on fire. [​IMG]

2. KristyHall

KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    Quote:your minions put alcohol on your poison oak? you have terrible minions

3. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Ouch! Hope you feel better. When we moved onto our property we had to clear out tons of 50 year old poison ivy trees. Turnsbout since the vines were so old they took over the trees and we thought the leaves were actually the tree..yikes My poor husband landed himself at the doctor's twice for a cortizone shot...hope you feel better [​IMG]

4. EmtheFishLady

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    No...I knocked the bottle off while cleaning and it splashed right on my arm. My arm feels like it's on fire. I wonder if that's a good burning or a bad burning?

5. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Get some Benadryl lotion. It's alcohol free and helps dry it up fast. I've never had poison oak, but I have had poison ivy and the weeping stage is especially gross. It wets through your clothes.

6. EmtheFishLady

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    Quote:I have an elderly neighbor who has cancer. The other day I was pulling some vines off his house and stacking some wood for him...I'm guessing I got into it there. I wasn't looking for it. Haven't had it since I was a kid...forgot how miserable the stuff is.

7. KristyHall

KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    Quote:ooowww

[​IMG]

That sounds painful.

still we must find a way to blame your minions

8. EmtheFishLady

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    Quote:ooowww

[​IMG]

That sounds painful.

still we must find a way to blame your minions

Lets blame Taz. I like blaming her.

Green, I have some stuff I've been throwing on it. [​IMG] Just felt like whining a little. [​IMG]

9. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Rule #1. Wash the oils of yourself as quickly as possible, NEVER use hot water, it just causes the oils to spread. Wash all your clothes that even MAY have come into contact with oils. This includes your bed sheets. If your dog get into it, (or in my case, goats and chickens) give them a bath also or dont hug them. Once you have a rash/blisters, the only thing that works for me is running the hottest water over the rash as I can stand. It will itch like crazy for a few minutes, but supposedly it releases the hystimines in the skin and keeps the itching at bay for hours. I have little patches right now from kissing my goats. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  10. EmtheFishLady

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    Quote:Yeah, I didn't notice it until the rash came up. [​IMG] I tend to start working and I have tunnel vision until I'm done.[​IMG]

I'm guessing you have it on your FACE? OUCH!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by