So... I have pumpkins? Or what?

Dawnclucks22

Crowing
May 28, 2017
Naboo
I was inspired by FlappyFeathers' thread to post this because I too have had a mystery plant growing in my backyard for a long time now. I'm *thinking* it's something like a pumpkin, but I'm not sure. (My thumb is not green at all and if I tried anything to help it grow I'd probably kill it :gig)
I live in a very dry area and it has had hardly any water since it started growing several months ago. The leaves are bristly to the touch (if that's the right word for it) and here's a picture of the whole plant:
upload_2018-7-19_20-27-40.png

(Don't take this as a size reference, the leaves are actually very large and I'm standing on top of a hill.)
Here's a picture of a flower/blossom all tucked in for the night - I'll try to get one when it's open too:
upload_2018-7-19_20-29-30.png

Let me know if you need better pictures when the light is better.

Yeah looks like a winter squash of some kind. If it is not getting polinated you probably won't get any fruit. The plant has male and female flowers on it. The female flowers have tiny fruit at the base of the blossom if it doesn't get polinated from a male it will just rot. If you could take a pic of a female flowers we might have a better idea of what you are growing.

I hope that is not more info than you wanted. I love volunteer plants.:ya

Yeah looks like a winter squash of some kind. If it is not getting polinated you probably won't get any fruit. The plant has male and female flowers on it. The female flowers have tiny fruit at the base of the blossom if it doesn't get polinated from a male it will just rot. If you could take a pic of a female flowers we might have a better idea of what you are growing.

I hope that is not more info than you wanted. I love volunteer plants.:ya
That’s really cool! Don’t worry about giving too much info :)

Back
Top Bottom