So I have these button quail- which ones are m or f- help

Discussion in 'Quail' started by mrwoodboat, Feb 13, 2014.

1. mrwoodboat

mrwoodboat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    I was given a few quail- some Bobwhites, coturnix and some buttons- other than what I have read here, I don't know who is male and who is female. I am wanting to get a pair separated so any help is appreciated... there is one silver blue that I think is a male, one slate grey/brownish one that I think is a male and one black and white one that I have no idea....the lady that gave them to me said she wanted to give me more so depending on what these are, I will get mates to what I have...[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for any help

2. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    the dark one and the silver are males and I am not sure on the other, the black and white one, you can check under the belly in the vent area and is there are reddish feathers it would be a male as well. If a female you need to get them separated asap so the males don't fight over her or over mate her and injure her. Good luck!

3. mrwoodboat

mrwoodboat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    thanks- I was thinking those two were males- what age are they sexually mature? These are about 3 wks old now..the silver is just beginning to vocalize (or try)

4. silly4buttons

silly4buttons Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2013
    Billerica Ma

I had button quail this past summer. The males will a red feathers on the belly near the tail and they will always have bib

5. GrandmaBird

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    mature at 6-10 weeks you will know!

6. Urucubaca

Urucubaca Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    The correct name is King Quails.

'Button Quail' are something completely different. Unfortunately, 'Button Quail' seems to be replacing the name King Quail in many American places, which is a shame, as it is incorrect.

7. GrandmaBird

May 28, 2012
    Colorado

No here we call them buttons and they are not king quail they are Chinese blue breasted quail. They are all in the same family but different in proper care and handling.

8. Urucubaca

Urucubaca Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    King Quail and Chinese Painted Quail are the same thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by