So I have this BCM cockerel that keeps biting me...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by chicken_china_mom, May 19, 2010.

1. chicken_china_mom

chicken_china_mom Crazy for Cochins

Apr 24, 2009
    Tab, Indiana
    And I had really, really wanted my BCM eggs to hatch, and I got this brat. [​IMG] I have been nothing but nice to him. I handle him, I pet him, I talk to him, I do everything I do with all my other chicks and adult birds, but this kid is just a BRAT!!! Any chance he gets, he bites. Not pecking, mind you, but full on biting. So this evening I was sitting outside with my babies, the brat included (they are 5 weeks old now), and my BR pullet came up to me asking me to pick her up, so I reached down to pick her up, and the brat (his name is Pierre) grabbed a hold of my finger and bit me! It was for about the 3rd time today, but I was sick of it. I turned and grabbed him, and I picked him up. I then set him in my lap, turned his head to face me, and I gave him a lecture. I told him that if he doesn't get his act straight and stop biting me and everyone else that I have NO qualms about finding out what Marans tastes like! He swallowed hard and settled down further in my lap. He didn't bite me again tonight. Maybe he got the point? He better outgrow this punk phase REAL soon... [​IMG]

2. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Hmmmm, I remember when I was a kid (about a hundred years ago), my mother told me (when I got bit by my little sis), "bite her back!" Do you think that would work? [​IMG]

In all seriousness .... I have Delawares, and they are known to be, "mouthy," (exploring and checking out everything with their mouth). I found that it helps to just grab them and hold their beak closed when they do that (when they bite you). Only a few seconds of course, and gentle enough to not hurt them. Anyway, after a few times of that >>>> they did quit biting.

Good luck!

3. chicken_china_mom

chicken_china_mom Crazy for Cochins

Apr 24, 2009
    Tab, Indiana
    Of all my chicks that I've raised, I think the Marans are the worst, but only as chicks. They grow up to be such wonderful adults. Man do they drive me nuts as chicks though! I have 3 other pure Marans, another BCM and two CM, and then I have a handful of CM mixed chicks, and it seems that the mixes chicks are better behaved, except one who likes to get RIGHT in your face, and grab at your eyes, glasses, lips, etc. Away from your face though and she's fine. Her mama is a Sexlink. My other BCM is a little nipper too, but not nearly as bad as Pierre. The CM's don't nip or bite at all. I'll have to try that, grab his beak and hold it next time he tries to bite. He was cocky enough to challenge an adult and the older chicks. Either he's REALLY brave, or he has a death wish. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by