So I need advice - White scovie ducklings at fair being given away

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Goat_Walker, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Ok So I REALLY , i mean REALLLLY want to get some of these ducklings. Every year at the fair they have ducklings in a waterfalled enclosure inside.

I finally found a guy who works at the place and asked what they do with them and he said that they give some away on the last day of the fair ( 19th ) and the rest they waitr till they are big enough to fly away.

So I REALLY want to get these. I might keep one or two and sell the rest . But my mom keeps saying how no one will buy them this time of year which is SO Not true since i have a bunch of ppl trying to buy ducklings from me ( which i dont have [​IMG] ) and I just wanted some opinions , Please and thank you!

2. the Old Rebel

the Old Rebel Rest in Peace -2011

May 12, 2007
    Hendersonville NC
    Oh Goat Walker..... my heart really goes out to you.

How many ducks do you have already?? Do you have enough room for some more?? Winter is coming on. It might be hard to find loving homes for them this time of year. I usually keep my babies until Spring. Can you afford to feed some more if you can't find homes for them?? What makes these so special??

I'll be saying a little prayer for you. Perhaps if you could show your Mom a list of the people who are asking for ducklings, she would reconsider your cause. How many are you hoping to get?? How many would you want to keep?

Let me know how it goes, please. I'm pulling for you.

the Old Rebel

3. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Let me see if I understand this correctly. This guy hatches them out and then lets them fly away if he can't get rid of them? And he does this every year?

Oh, and on this one, I think the Old Rebel had some sound advice. You know in my heart though I want to yell, "GET THEM ALL!" [​IMG]

4. Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    That guy sounds like a real D-Head! [​IMG]
    I would report him to the Humane Society.

5. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    If you can accomodate and afford them all then I would say go for it. When I say all I mean all just incase you can't get rid of them until spring. Getting people lined up before hand would be a good idea also.

6. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    There are about 20 - 30 of them , id only be able to take about 5 - 6 max, plus others that i could sell. And yeah he does this every year. Id just love to give them a home. I mean I have 13 dukies already but there is no such thing as too many ducks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by