So, I need some advice for my quarantine...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by superjules75, Oct 15, 2009.

1. superjules75

superjules75 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    So, I've read enough of the horror stories and have decided I need to quarantine 2 new chickens I'm planning to get. I had 3, one was killed by a dog, now I have 2 and one of them is recovering from some superficial injuries she received in the attack, but she is almost back to normal. The guy I am getting the new ones from is reputable and buys his chicks from Ideal Poultry rather than trying to hatch them, which I've heard can avoid some typical problems. I've read that they need to be the same age as my current ones (23 weeks). One of them is the same and the other is 3 and a half months. The two new chickens were raised together so they won't be aggressive to each other. Do you think it will be a problem putting the young one in with my buff orp and ee? They really aren't aggressive except when they want treats. Also, I am buying a wire dog cage that is 31 inches long 21 inches wide and 24 inches high. Is this fine for a quarantine? Do I just leave them in the cage and feed them in there and everything? I would just appreciate some advice! Thanks!

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. superjules75

superjules75 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    Thanks, I saw that earlier. Mainly, I hope the pen I'm getting is large enough and that the smaller bird won't be a big deal. Of course, she'll be 4 and a half months or so by the end of the quarantine.

4. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    At 3 1/2 - 4 1/2 months she should be a good size...just check how they react when you introduce them. I don't think at that age size is a big issue. I have two 11 week old girls that have been out of quarantine for a week and are in the same big coop but still divided by a wire fence from the part with the four 28 week old girls. They see each other, the lowest ranking 'old' chicken and the young RIR were posturing quite a bit the first day but could not get at each other. They seem fine now. Saturday they will all go out in the yard together, I'll observe to make sure they'll establish their new pecking order without blood shed [​IMG] If they get along in the good sized yard and the coop at night, I'll see how they do in the run where they are a bit more confined but have shelter and protection when I can't let tem free roam.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It really does not matter if they came from a hatchery or not. If they touched ground and were in someone else's care for weeks, they could have been exposed to all sorts of things. Always, always quarantine if you are going to risk buying new birds from anyone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by