So I need *YOUR* Help!

Seiena

In the Brooder
Oct 11, 2016
I honestly had no idea where to put this because it's such a broad scope I'm looking at and extremely overwhelmed right now. So lets start with the main event of this thread.

I need help determining which birds I should breed and raise to provide myself at least a poor man's lifestyle, if I can make enough money to expand into my own home that would be FANTASTIC because I would love to branch out but I'm being overly realistic...if I can not starve to death on it that's good enough for me. I live in a trailer park, with my rapidly ageing parents who have serious chronic diseases, which is pretty laid back on the rules as long as you keep what you do indoors, so the birds in question need to be indoor raised, which eliminates Chickens, Turkeys, and the sort that have to be raised in a backyard.

The Details of the situation. I'm 33 years old, mentally disabled and completely unemployable by conventional means, I'm also in California and far from ranches that might be willing to hire me on....even if I was near them, I struggle with human contact enough to impress upon people my skills and abilities like my obsession with detail especially when it comes to animal welfare.

Before you ask, even fast food joints have turned me down for a job and I've been searching non-stop since I was 18 for employment...it WRECKS a person mentally and emotionally to be rejected that badly. I'm in fact fighting Agoraphobia now on top of everything else because of it. So needless to say I'm in a pretty desperate situation, with no real skills except exemplary animal care skills.

I live in a small town in the middle of a desert where animals go where their owners go, so pet sitting isn't a viable operation either sadly. Which brings me to using those exceptional skills to raise animals. I get attached so, killing I'll do if I HAVE TO, but it'll take a toll because I don't like killing things if I don't have to especially if I love them, and I figure I can kill a bird easier then say a rabbit...because....overly cute. So while I'd like to raise birds that don't require me to kill them, I will do it if it's between my life and it's life.

That being said, thank you so much for even looking at this thread because I know I'm seeking ideas from strangers. I just keep running back and forth about which birds would best suit my needs of survival and thought with the fact everything I research brings me back here to very knowledgeable and friendly people, that I'd give it a try presenting my situation and seeing what other people think. Sadly I don't have anyone I know who could help me in this because they're all computer scientists, Taxi drivers, medical van drivers and in general human oriented people.

Oh and I'm pretty hands on, so I intend to build my own incubator, and cages....if that helps any.

Hi. You sound like a really determined person! A good quality to have :) Its a real shame that no-one will employ you.... Im sorry about that!

What birds are available in your area? Budgies? Cockatoo's? Galah's? It might be easier for us to suggest that way we know whats available.

By the way Welcome to BYC
welcome-byc.gif

Unfortunately being in such a small town I'll have to leave and go either much further south or much further north (by like 10ish hours) to find breeders of any kind, unless I do something like Quail and have eggs shipped in. Which is why it's so overwhelming to me right now. I'm not really sure what type of bird would be best at making a survivable income. Be it finches, parrots, quail, or love birds. What I know mostly is what is illegal in California. Even that's a little wibbly because the site is probably the most ridiculous thing I've ever had to try and read. Especially since I've seen on here a list of quail that are illegal according to Fish and Game, but the site indicates no restrictions on Quail...so I'm still working on wrapping my head around what is actually legal here.

I at least know one thing. Whatever it is I will research into the ground to make the best cages, incubators, and anything else I need. I feel so completely out of my element in the breeder side of the life.

I was thinking of raising button Quail because they're hands down my favorite bird, but it almost feels like the market is flooded with their eggs and I'm not really sure how I could market them other then hey here's some eggs to give you a ton of pet quail you can hatch yourself! unless maybe I marketed them to classrooms for science classes and offered incubators, cages, and with care guides but finding a way to print those might make it too expensive for classrooms though. And I'm not sure how many people would be like hey a button quail starter kit lets do that! either.

So I mean I have like ideas but I'm overwhelmed on what might be the most viable choice in my situation.

Have you looked at selling pickled quail eggs? It sounds funny I know. But I know a man whose wife got into quail, was overrun with eggs, and got the idea to pickle them, put them into Mason jars, and sell them to local bars and restaurants. She can't keep up with the demand and gets a really good price for them, she's made it into a side business which actually pays for the quail as well as gives her extra spending money. Apparently nobody wants to do the work of pickling the eggs but they love eating them!

I had not thought of that. Thank you! Would Button Quail eggs really make good pickled eggs? I'll have to look into that...To Google I go! Thank you so much!

I had not thought of that. Thank you! Would Button Quail eggs really make good pickled eggs? I'll have to look into that...To Google I go! Thank you so much!

I don't know what kind of quail she has...I haven't had her pickled eggs, but apparently they're a big hit!

Maybe restaurants would just be interested in the quail eggs - it's considered by some to be a delicacy. That would be easier than having to make up the pickled eggs, getting jars for them , etc.

You would probably need some sort of license to market to restaurants.

Back
Top Bottom