So, I needed feed, pine shavings and dog food....

gryeyes

Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers
10 Years
Sep 22, 2009
My slice of heaven in Somerset, CA
I deliberately waited until today to make my feed store trip, because I knew they'd be out of most of the popular breeds and, being a hatcher, I wouldn't be tempted by any straight run bantam chicks.

But I lost my BR hen over the weekend. I don't have any other BRs. Maybe, just maybe, the feed store might have some of those left.... I had a small box in my car, so I carried it in with me.

Recognized as soon as I came in (HA!), I was asked how my flock is doing - because I bought Corrid V last week to treat an outbreak, which took several of my younger chickens and my BR hen, Betsy. I told her I was looking for a couple of Barred Rock chicks.

"We're all out of hens," said the gal who always wants to hear about my TJs chick and Fritzie the frizzled Cochin. "All we have left are roosters and sex-link hens." (The employees there don't say "pullet" or "cockerel.")

Oh, okay. I just need feed, dog food, and pine shavings.

As she was marking up the "pull sheet" for my supplies, the gal said, slowly, "Would you be interested in a project chick?"

What's a project chick?

"We have a little Black Jersey Giant girl with spraddle leg, we separated her to treat it. She'a out of her splint now and doing better, but she still needs a little extra special care. She was lonely so we put a Brown Leghorn in with her. Come see."

How many people know exactly what happened next? Raise your hands!
gig.gif

One cannot buy just ONE chick. The Brown Leghorn was the very last non-sexlink pullet chick in the store. So she came home with me, too.

I paid for the Brown Leghorn and the supplies. The owner - a pretty grizzled fella - patted me on the shoulder and said, "I'm glad. I know she's going to a good home."

AND - this is also important - the gal is interested in three or four of my currently hatching Silver-laced Cochin chicks for her personal flock! (Hope she doesn't want them sexed....)

Last edited:
Heheheh that's a cute story! They will be so happy at your house! Brown leghorns are SO pretty when they get big, and they lay a nice, large, chalky-white egg. I don't think you have any white egglayers, do you?

Cross her with Carl & I'll come get the eggs & we'll hatch 'em out and see what we get.

Quote:
frow.gif

frow.gif
hahahaha....our feed store never has chicks but they ordered some for someone and they never picked them up so I heard they are selling them...ahahahaha I am avoiding the place until sold, because I already placed my order which will arrive in 1.5 months I do not want to be tempted lol...

thank you for taking the little project, you have a great big heart!!

Linda-I'm shocked!
lol.png

Good for you for taking the little splay leg baby AND the Leghorn home with you.
Glad you had the little box with you...just in case.

And that is exactly why I'll be avoiding the feed store when the chicks come in. Because I just know, I just KNOW they'll see me and say, "Hey, we have a few that can use a good home..."

Can you post a picture of your two newcomers?

Quote:
Right now they are huddled under the Brinsea EcoGlow so I have to wait until they dash out for food, water, or just to run around like chicks do. Trust me, I spend plenty of time in the Brooder Room (aka: my only bathroom) so pictures ARE forthcoming!

Okay, this is my little spraddle-legged Project Chick, a BJG. She scampered out from under the EcoGlow and made it to food. Then made it back again; she just walks a little gingerly with her legs a bit too far apart.
41679_bjg-projectchick.jpg

Two of the cochin chicks I've hatched, peeking out from under the EcoGlow.
41679_peekingout.jpg

Peeking out from their warm sanctuary.
41679_keepingwarm.jpg

So, what's over there?
41679_whatsoverthere.jpg

Here's the little brown Leghorn who was keeping the BJG company.
41679_brnleghorn2-28.jpg

All five of the current EcoGlow users: the BJG, the Brown Leghorn, two silver-laced? Cochins and a Gold-laced Cochin.
41679_all5feb28.jpg

Back
Top Bottom