So... I never knew Roosters were so smart.

cindyschicks

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 16, 2010
Grant Park, Illinois
My roosters can count! I never would have figured it until I started free ranging them in the evening with their girls.

When round-up bedtime comes I go out with my dog to send them in and no matter how I try my Buff Orpington Rooster, Rocky, stays out of reach until he knows all of his girls have filed back in, then he happily strolls in.

Smart, Handsome, and Sweet, what more can you ask for in a man/roo
wink.png

Last edited:
lol.png
I have said basically the same thing. At treat time, my rooster always makes sure the girls get some treat before he'll help himself. The thing is, he loves bread. So I hand feed him the bread and he'll pass one piece to a hen, then eat a piece himself, then one piece to a hen and so on and so forth.
The only time he forgets to count is when the figs are ripe. He adores figs and won't share with the girls at all.

Awww! Thanks for reminding me why roosters are so great. My 2 are so vocal lately, but they're so sweet, too.

I have a 7 1/2 week old Silver penciled rock cockeral who will chirp and pace until everyone is in the coop for the night. (all 14 of them) Then he will go in.

Gritsar...That's funny, I tried to feed my girls figs last year and they wouldn't eat them. My rooster wasn't hatched yet, so maybe this year he'll taste them. Sometimes I feel like I'm making him neurotic by giving treats. He wanders around and calls to the girls. And I caught him yesterday..........he called to the girls, then they came running over and he tagged one of them. It made me laugh.

Quote:
Not really dumb when he calls them over then jumps them.
lau.gif

My former rooster was always doing that. Making a big fuss, grabbing at nothing, making the girls think he had something really special. As soon as a hen came over to see what he had, BAM! He'd nail her. The hens never caught on to his trick.
roll.png

My RIR rooster, Hecules will not eat treats either until his girls have gotten theirs and when one hens strays too far from the rest he goes and gets her so all his hens are together. He also attacks my dogs when he sees them so I guess he thinks they will harm his women.

Back
Top Bottom