So...I opened the incubator and had to take the eggs out...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by UncleTommy, Sep 22, 2011.

1. UncleTommy

UncleTommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    Sanger, CA
    Note to self: that thing that you think chicks won't do, they'll do it, all of them.

So i built my incubator and ended up leaving a little gap between my wire basket and the wall. I thought nothing of it, till i realized that i had laided the thermometer down to read it easier...creating a little step, which they all promptly used to jump over the side, like so:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i should have gotten an action shot of them jumping, but i was too shocked to take a picture.

but here are some with the scaredy chick that didn't jump and some other chicks below:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was going to leave them all down there, until they got into the water pan, then i had to take all the eggs out along with the scaredy chick, remove the rack and pull the chicks out. Any chance i might have shrink wrapped some of the chicks? 1 just hatched out after i had done this, but another one looks like he might be stuck behind the membrane. When i took them out i put them in a Styrofoam egg carton and closed it, then i jacked up the humidity after i put them all in.

heres a pic of the trouble some pip:

[​IMG]

opinions?

2. BHep

BHep Overrun With Chickens

Nov 20, 2010
    Faison, NC
    [​IMG] Congrats on the chicks.

I had a homemade incubator to start and had the same issue....space between the wire & wall. I just stuck a old washcloth in the crack. Worked like a charm. [​IMG]

Good luck with the rest of the hatch. [​IMG]:fl

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Haha! Silly chicks. Yes, if there's a way for them to cause trouble for themselves, they'll do it. Congrats on your hatch though, looks like everything else in your home made bator has worked perfectly. One little tweak and it'll be just right. Did you shrink wrap that pipped one? Maybe, but wait a little longer in case he's just a slow-poke hatcher. How many eggs have you still got in there? How many pipped and how many unpipped? If the one you're worrying about is the last one, you could decide to help and it won't affect any other chicks. But if you've got a whole bunch in there still to hatch, trying to help out just one could have a bad effect on lots of others. I'd say, wait a while. At least another few hours. And even then, maybe wait some more....

Congrats on your hatch btw, nice healthy looking chicks...[​IMG]

4. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    I usually wait 24 hours before assisting. It gives the membrane time to dry out so it doesn't bleed so much, and gives the chick time to hatch naturally.

5. UncleTommy

Jul 19, 2011
    Sanger, CA
    they all came out on their own
    [​IMG]

I had 10 hatch from the 12 that made it to lockdown. Not sure why those other 2 didn't make it, but i'm leaving them in there until tomorrow, then i'll do a water test just to make sure. so 10 of 17 from eggs that came from NC to CA. Oh, there are 3 buff orps, 3 RIR, 3 Black Astrolorps and a Barred Rock.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  6. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

Congrats and such a pretty little flock.....

7. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    What a beautiful assortment [​IMG] !!! You must be in [​IMG] heaven !!! Wow you made your incubator and got 10 out of 12 so far [​IMG] of shipped eggs !!!! That's really great [​IMG] Cogratulations [​IMG]
    The pics of the chick going over the edge are Priceless [​IMG]

Quote:

8. UncleTommy

Jul 19, 2011
    Sanger, CA
    Quote:Yeah, i'm only counting those eggs, i had 2 other shipments totally smashed....but i have another 2 boxes coming this week. I'm hooked! I will get my EE, one way or another!

PS who would have thought watching chicks drink water would be so captivating?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  9. silky_3699

silky_3699 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    My Own Realm!!!
    sounds good. [​IMG]
    i had 13 eggs under my hen, killed one and 2 were infertile.
    so the rest of the 10 are going to be hatching very soon.
    and good luck with yours![​IMG]

10. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    They all made it out on their own? Oh, woo-hoo! What an excellent result. Nice healthy looking chicks too [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by