So I picked up some chicks in a seedy part of town...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bahamabanty, Oct 5, 2015.

1. bahamabanty

bahamabanty Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2013
    Bahamas
    Me and my brother in law spotted these little chicks walking motherless in a very seedy part of town. We managed to catch them. Hopefully one of them is a hen I could use one to hatch some of my brown layer eggs. These feral chickens tend to get broody a lot.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Are you set up to keep them? I don't know how old they are... Do you have chick starter or the equivalent to feed them? They may need some heat, depending on your current night time temperatures. I'm guessing they are about 2 weeks old. I wish you the best with them! Check out the many excellent articles in the learning center about raising chicks. There are articles there to cover every single topic related to keeping chickens. Just a hunch, but I'm guessing that the grey one in the back is a roo! Also guessing that the front right one may be a roo! Come back in about 8 weeks, and tell me if I am right!!!

3. bahamabanty

Oct 9, 2013
    Bahamas
    Oh yes, I have hatched many many chicks in my incubator. I have starter feed, heat lamp, a brooder box, grow out pen. I have many chickens, mostly redstars and leghorn mix, but I had only one broody in 4 years...I hope to get at least a hen out of this bunch that I can use as a mother to hatch some chicks the natural way.

4. bahamabanty

Oct 9, 2013
    Bahamas
    Ha I was thinking the same thing LG. My brother in law lives in a rural area. all the roosters will go to him eventually. (stewpot)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Hopefully you get some good broody hens from that batch [​IMG]

6. Mutt Farm

Mutt Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Great story. I have fond memories of the feral chickens in the Bahamas and Key West. Did you fare ok during Juaquin? That was one bad hurricane. Posting to follow, best of luck with your chicks.

7. bahamabanty

Oct 9, 2013
    Bahamas
    I am in the north, we had good weather here, the southern islands got hit really bad. The chicks were walking in a really bad part of town..my brother-in-law hopped out the car to get them while I slowly drove the get-a-way car past the local trap houses, dodging bullets. Ok,... there were no bullets, but you get the idea!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  8. sroy

sroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    Florida
    Oh they are SO cute!! Glad you saved them. :)

9. Dracana

Dracana Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2015
    North-Central Ohio
    Oh my! Random wondering chicks! It's a good thing that doesn't happen around where I live. My husband would kill me after I collected them all. I could never live with myself if I didn't save them all! LOL

2 people like this.
  10. Lozuufy

Lozuufy Pigeons are nutty Premium Member

May 20, 2012
    MA/VT
    Lol true, I would be running around collecting them also, will have to be careful not to try and rescue any if we go to the Bahamas this winter! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by