so i rescue a lab-mix pup discarded in the woods, & find her a home

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by peacebird, Apr 2, 2009.

1. peacebird

peacebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Virginia
    here it is about 7 months later and we learn from the vet that the puppy has some congenital problem and is already mostly blind - will lose all sight within the next 6 months.

She is a wonderful pup. She has two big dogs who live with her, and dote on her. Does anyone have experience with blind dogs?

Any tips or guidelines? She has a big fenced yard already.....

2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

Good for you helping that poor puppy [​IMG] , sorry I've got no tips on blind dogs [​IMG] .

3. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    I have a totally blind chia. We considered putting her to sleep when she lost her second eye.(glaucoma) We didn't want her to suffer. Boy, it didn't take her long to whip us into shape! Carme can let you know exactly what she wants. she finds the doggie door on her own also food and water. She can't jump on the couch or bed but she can get herself to it and then bark (quietly) until you help her up. She will gently paw you when she wants down. Carme has a little snuff-grunt sound she makes whenever there are unexpected obstacles and she will maneuver over or around it. Her outside area is fenced and she never touches the fence. One time before her vision loss,she was out side( we lived on a ranch ) I was in the house. I could hear her barking like she was just going to tear something up,so I thought I would investigate.......Well to my suprise when I got outside Carme ( 4 lbs) had a 2000 lb bull backed into a corner and they were nose to nose. I almost had a heart attack! I tell you this because she has retained her moxy,if something gets to close to her yard ( ie: other dogs, cats ) she still bristles up and gets after them. She can't see a thing. HA HA HA ! I am so glad and blessed to have made the right decision. Micah

4. rhondapiper

rhondapiper Chillin' With My Peeps

There is a fantastic website at www.rollingdogranch.org or the blog at http://blog.rollingdogranch.org/

The
    place is an animal sanctuary specializing in blind dogs, cats, and horses, and other animals with special needs. While they don't really offer a lot of tips (except for on this page http://www.rollingdogranch.org/faqs.html#5 ), the website is a great read, especially the blog, because you can see firsthand how little the dogs' quality of life is affected by their loss of sight.

They also recommend this book:
    http://www.amazon.com/Living-Blind-...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1224882839&sr=8-1

Good luck!

5. geepy

geepy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    central FL
    We have a 10 year old hound that has been totally blind for 4 years and he gets around just fine. He finds the doggy door on his own and listens for cars moving in the yard. Sometimes when things in the yard are moved he might bump into them. Just let him know when your around and warn all guests that your lab is blind so he/she won't trip any of them. Animals are remarkable.

6. geepy

geepy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    central FL
    Oh yea the other dogs might already know she is going blind but you might want to keep an eye on them. When our dog went blind and bumped into the other dogs they thought he was beening aggresive. They finally figured out he couldn't see them and now they just move out of his way. Hope this helps.

7. Pupsnpullets

Pupsnpullets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    My dog (see avatar) went completely blind on me last summer. Catarracts are his problem. He was always obedient so it wasn't hard to guide him as he adjusted. He still helps me round up chickens when needed, he still runs with his sister and knows to stop instantly when he feels the terrain change beneath his feet. I've adjusted by 1) taking the trailer hitch off my truck (ouch!!!) 2) confining him while I'm not around so that he doesn't fall in the pool (not necessary now), 3) advising anyone who drives on the property to take particular care and, 4) watching his like a hawk when on unleashed walks as I live in cactus country. My dog was 7 when he lost his sight and has adjusted extremely well - to the point where often people don't realise his problem. Your dog, being a pup, and having caring older dogs around, probably won't have much trouble at all. Oh, and you've earned a lot of doggy merits points for taking care of that little dog [​IMG]

8. peacebird

peacebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Virginia
    thanks to all - the blind dogs web site is full of hopeful info!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by