1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

So I rescued these 2 Pekin drakes...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Granolamom, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Granolamom

Granolamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Dallas
    ...and now the question arises, what to do with them. I have no other ducks (only a flock of chickens), and therefor must decide whether to keep these boys in a separate area with only each other as company, or whether to get them some girls. If I keep both drakes, how many females should I get for them, to keep them from being territorial and fight each other? Please advise! Thanks.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I don't know about Pekins as far a temperment goes other than I've heard how sweet they are but sexually I don't know if they will fight over girls or not. I can tell you this if you have just the 2 boys they will be fine together. How are they acting since you have brought them home? do they get along good? You might see one or both try to mount the other one when in the pool, but my girls do that too and i have 2 drakes, it's just natural stuff with ducks. If you get them girls I know most say 2 to 3 for each drake. so your going to end up with lots of ducks and even more if you let them brood or hatch them yourself. But you'll have lots of eggs for baking cooking and eating. [​IMG]

3. evansacres

evansacres Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    I started out with two pekin ducks and 2 drakes. Our first spring was pretty tough - the males were rough not just with each other but with the girls too. I ended up finding homes for both pekin drakes and bought a pair of rouens. I now only have one drake to five ducks - everyone is content. My suggestion is either stick to your two drakes or sell a drake and get a couple of ducks, it's much nicer to have everyone happy then to watch everyone fighting. Good luck [​IMG]

4. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    I'd say keep just the boys or get at least five hens. JMO.

5. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I have found Pekin drakes to be quite agressive to the females if you don't have enough

6. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

I ended up getting more hens to go around for my drakes )which I thought I'd separate each with some girls of his own like breeding trios etc. if I had to. But the boys are bonded and didn't like being separated, so now I have them (pekin drakes) in their own pen that the girls can circle around and visit, and the hens have started trying to mate each other LOL! Unless you really need duck eggs, I'd say enjoy your new pets and make it easy on yourself. I'm just a glutton for punishment.

7. Granolamom

Granolamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Dallas
    Update: went and got 3 hens (as a "starter stock", just to see how things would work out). So far, so good. All 5 are co-existing happily, and nobody is getting "worn out".

8. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

My drakes were relentless with the girls and ganging up on them. That's the part that I was worried about. The two of them can drown the female if they're in water, and my pekins are so much bigger than my other ducks. Hoping all goes well with yours. Even still 3 hens to 2 drakes is not a great ratio. Mine are very contented just being around the girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by