So I sent my hen flying across the run this morning.....with my foot!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BethieofVA, Aug 11, 2010.

1. BethieofVA

BethieofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    She is so agressive and first thing out of the coop came for me and my feet! I gave her a swift, but gently sling across the run. I do not want to hurt her. I only have four, but this wench is getting on my nerves. I have been able to catch her a few times and hold. She doesn't try to peck me when I am carrying her,so I don't know what gives. Hopefully, after her ride this morning, she will catch on.
    [​IMG]

That is her, Abby, in the front of the pic. Maybe when she FINALLY start laying she will calm down as well. It could be PMS. [​IMG]

2. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    I don't know if it would help, but I have a very large fishing net. I use that to catch all my birds with and it is so much easier than chasing them around and trying to catch by hand.

Whenever I don't want birds to follow me--I just pick up the net and carry it along. They scatter everywhere! It is actually funny. Even the geese know "the net"

If I want to get into any coop then I put the net in the door first. Poof. They are away from the door.

If I have an aggressive roo I take it into the pen with me.

If he goes for me, I catch him with it and retraining begins but usually by the time they will challenge me they know "the net" and won't even come close.

I have tried every other object, rake, broom, walking stick but it is only the net they fear because each one has been captured many times for inspection and banding ect...

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Wow...I didn't know hens would act that aggressively. I mean my girls come around and peck a little at my pant leg or my shoes/feet on occasion out of interest, but never aggressively. That's so odd...very rooster-like. Is she your lead hen???

4. BethieofVA

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    Quote:I am guessing she is the head honcho! She is first out of the coop in the mornings. She does the most talking. I think she is THEIR boss, not mine.

Thanks for the net suggestion. I think I am going to get one, just for her!!!

5. sixlittlechicks09

sixlittlechicks09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Wyalusing
    We've got some rowdy teen roosters and lately my best friend has been a leather riding crop! I carry it around, and when I see them start their misbehaviors, a quick snap on my pantleg or on the ground near them, and you'd think I fired a gun at them! Lol, they're all starting to realize the "Chicken Whacker" means buisness! (sidenote, I don't actually hit my chickens, that's just the loving name given to my crop by my 4 year old cousin! [​IMG] )

6. BethieofVA

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    Quote:Love it! The CHICKEN WHACKER![​IMG]

7. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Quote:Sorry I don't have an answer but I do have a question...What breed is the chicken next to Abby on the right she is so pretty?

8. bigdaddyabc

bigdaddyabc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Greer
    Quote:My son has a plain old stick he uses to "herd" the girls back into the coop at night if they are feeling uncooperative. No hitting, just a prod or two and rustling bushes and such. He calls it The Stick of Chicken Justice to make it sounds ominous and scary for them. He is a hoot!

9. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Given the number of snakes around here, I carry a homemade "snake stick". It works on snakes, chickens and as a cane for me!

As for the hen, she'll probably settle down a bit after she starts laying. Hope so for your sake!

10. BethieofVA

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    Quote:Sorry I don't have an answer but I do have a question...What breed is the chicken next to Abby on the right she is so pretty?

The two closest are Rhode Islands and the others are Black Sex Links!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by