So I started canning the peaches today

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by KDbeads, Sep 18, 2009.

1. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    Earlier in the summer one of our peach trees (white flesh freestone) started dropping fruit really early, tons of tiny peaches due to the drought. I tried making jelly with them but all I got was mush. So I decided to freeze the mush and make peach butter with it at a later time.
    Since the rain hit us my latest to bloom peach tree started dropping, this is it's first year to fruit since we've been in the house so we didn't know what type it was.... it's a cling stone with really yellow orange flesh. It's also being affected by peach scab [​IMG] but hubby eats what he can. The rest I decide to process today to not waste any. You know how you blanch for 20-30 seconds then shock to loosen the skins? Didn't work for these, I still had to peel every single one [​IMG] took me three hours in my CHFZ (cat hair free zone) that I set up in the kitchen. And since these are cling stone I had to carve the pits out. Would have been NICE to sit down, my feet are killing me! All this for a measly 9 pints of peaches. Processing the last batch now.
    I know I have to get the peach butter done soon and preferably before I put away the canner and jars but..... I wore myself out today. I'm almost glad the tomatoes didn't do well this year, I'd be processing them as well.....

2. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

But just think how yummy they will be this winter!!

3. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    Bad thing is...... I don't like peaches that much [​IMG] Dried peaches yes... peach bread yes.... but for the most part I never did have a big liking for them.

4. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    making peach prserves as well

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by