So I think I am going to get some ducks....questions...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by onion, Apr 16, 2009.

1. onion

onion New Egg

Apr 16, 2009
    I think I'll get some (4-6) mallards the week after next but I have several questions. A couple points before the questions:

I live on 5 acres and have a small pond (1/4-1/2 acre) back near the woodline. I also have a 3 year old English Springer Spaniel. No kids or wife or cohabitant....

The questions:

How are ducks on concrete? I have a space I can fence in that would have 1/2 concrete and 1/2 grass. The space is about 10' long and 6' wide.

How soon before I can let them out for good? I don't plan on letting them in every night etc. I also won't be surprised if they decide to strike out own their own but hopefully if I raise them they will at least hang out here all summer. I will have to allow them to fly or they will certainly be eaten by coyotes/foxes/raccoons etc.

How cold is too cold for them to stay outside? By the time I get them I would imagine the night temps will be in the 50s, I was planning on keeping them in the screened in porch with heat lamps etc.

Rubbermaid tub is acceptable for a few weeks?

I'm sure lots of folks have done this, just wondering if it is worth the trouble or not?

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    How are ducks on concrete? I have a space I can fence in that would have 1/2 concrete and 1/2 grass.

Since half of it is grass, they should be fine.

How soon before I can let them out for good?

Well, they will be completely feathered out around 6 weeks, but they will still be "kids". They become sexually mature around 6 months. I don't know really, but I would be tempted to wait until they are closer to 6 months.

How cold is too cold for them to stay outside?

Will they have some kind of shelter? With shelter they can handle below zero as adults. As ducklings, they need 85-90 degrees for the first week, then you go down 5 degrees until you get to 70.

Yes, but get the biggest one you can. They grow REALLY fast.​

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  3. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:Since half of it is grass, they should be fine.

How soon before I can let them out for good?

Well, they will be completely feathered out around 6 weeks, but they will still be "kids". They become sexually mature around 6 months. I don't know really, but I would be tempted to wait until they are closer to 6 months.

How cold is too cold for them to stay outside?

Will they have some kind of shelter? With shelter they can handle below zero as adults. As ducklings, they need 85-90 degrees for the first week, then you go down 5 degrees until you get to 70.

Yes, but get the biggest one you can. They grow REALLY fast.​

what she said. wifezilla=one of BYCs duck experts.

but i would like to add something about the concrete, i'm pretty sure the could scrap their foot on it, which would get infected. this infection is called bumblefoot. it causes the duck to limp and can get so bad it could kill the duck. you would have to soak the foot in epsom salt water, then try to get the black scab off. if it doesn't come off, you will need to cut the absess open. then you will have to get all the puss out, then pack in some antibiotic cream without pain relief. you would then have to wrap the foot until it clears, which could take over a week. to save yourself the trouble of bumblefoot, i would say keep them off the concrete.​

4. onion

onion New Egg

Apr 16, 2009
    Maybe some indoor outdoor carpet on the concrete [​IMG]

Thanks for the replies!

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I am not an expert yet, but I am sure with more time my little fluffy goobers will teach me plenty!

You could sprinkle some pine shavings on the concrete??

Mine are only on concrete when they come to the back patio door to beg for treats [​IMG]

6. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    pine shavings would be better than carpet. lol!! mine are only one pavement (not concrete...sorry!) when it rains and all the worms come out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by